Can I use three equations for the same concept?

• B
  • Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the three equations provided (v = u + at, x = ut + 1/2 at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2ax) describe constant acceleration motion in different ways by relating different pairs of unknowns (velocity, time, and displacement). They cannot be used interchangeably and each equation may be more useful depending on the given information in a problem.
Indranil
1. v = u + at
2. x = ut + 1/2 at^2
3. u^2 = + 2ax
Can I use three equeations above for the same concept 'constant accelaration' interchangeablly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:
Can I use three equeations above for the same concept 'constant accelaration' interchangeablly?

What do you think? What conditions would have to be true for you to be able to use these three equations interchangeably?

Indranil said:
3. u^2 = + 2ax
I would rewrite this one as v^2 = u^2 + 2ax, since you're using u as the initial velocity.

Indranil said:
Those equations are valid for constant acceleration, but do they say the same thing? Hint: Note that each equation relates a different pair of "unknowns".

Likes russ_watters
PeterDonis said:
What do you think? What conditions would have to be true for you to be able to use these three equations interchangeably?
If a = 0, we get 'velocity' in every equations.

Indranil said:
If a = 0, we get 'velocity' in every equations.

But what about if ##a \neq 0##?

PeterDonis said:
But what about if ##a \neq 0##?
I think, I don't get 'velocity' in every eqeations.

Indranil said:
I think, I don't get 'velocity' in every eqeations.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get velocity". Only the first equation is an equation for the velocity ##v##.

Perhaps we should take a step back and ask: why would you want to use these three equations interchangeably?

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "get velocity". Only the first equation is an equation for the velocity ##v##.

Perhaps we should take a step back and ask: why would you want to use these three equations interchangeably?
To get the velocity either initial or final velocity. It is my own presumption. I may be wrong with this concept.

Indranil said:
To get the velocity either initial or final velocity.

The initial velocity is just ##u##; you don't solve for that, it's something that should be given in the statement of the problem.

The final velocity ##v## has to be obtained from the first equation. You can't obtain it from the second equation since it doesn't appear at all. The third equation has ##v## in it (at least, it does with the correction @Doc Al gave) but it also has ##x## in it, which is another unknown; so it won't give you ##v## in terms of quantities that are known from the statement of the problem.

Each of your three equations relates a different pair of unknowns. (As @PeterDonis stated, u is a given, as is the acceleration.)

The first equation relates v & t.
The second equation relates x & t.
The third equation relates v & x.

So each equation describes constant acceleration motion in a different way. Depending upon the particular problem you're dealing with--and the information given--one equation might be more useful than another. While all three deal with accelerated motion, they are not the same.

1. Can I use different equations to represent the same concept in my experiment?

Yes, it is common for scientists to use multiple equations to describe the same concept in their experiments. This can provide a more thorough understanding of the concept and allow for more accurate analysis and predictions.

2. How do I know which equation to use for a specific concept?

The equation you use will depend on the specific variables and conditions of your experiment. It is important to understand the underlying principles and relationships of the concept in order to choose the most appropriate equation.

3. Is it necessary to use multiple equations for the same concept?

No, it is not always necessary to use multiple equations for the same concept. In some cases, one well-chosen equation may be sufficient to describe the concept and make accurate predictions. However, using multiple equations can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the concept.

4. Can I use equations from different scientific fields for the same concept?

Yes, it is possible to use equations from different scientific fields to describe the same concept. However, it is important to consider the units and assumptions of each equation to ensure they are compatible and appropriate for your experiment.

5. How do I determine the accuracy of using multiple equations for the same concept?

The accuracy of using multiple equations for the same concept depends on the accuracy of each individual equation and how well they reflect the underlying principles of the concept. It is important to validate your results and constantly reassess the equations used in your experiment for accuracy.