Can some one check this over?

• Thread starter Eddard
  • Start date
In summary: ENDMENT: In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 920 kg car traveling at 125 km/h and attempting to stop before reaching a concrete barrier. The frictional force acting on the car is 8600N and the driver is unsure if they can stop in time. The suggested solution involves using energy and calculating the stopping distance to determine if it is less than 65m.
Eddard
Hey... I need help on a question i know how to calculate the decceleration of the truck in the problem below but I am not completely sure about how you would be able to find the conclusion to this question? Help would be appreiated o:)

A 920 kg car is 65m from a concrete barrier traveling at 125 km/h, when the driver notices and slams on the breaks. The fritional force acting on the car is 8600N. Is the driver able to stop the car in time? :eek:

so this is what i got:M= 920kg
D=65m
V1=125 km/h
F(friction)=8600N
A=?
v1=0

F(net)=ma
-F(friction)=ma
A=-F(fric..)
=-0.935 m/s ^2V2^2=V1^2 + 2a*∆d

Rearranged the equation:
∆d= V2^2/2a∆d - square of V1

Then when i sub in the numbers and solve the equation I conclude that the car stops 2.11 meters away from the concrete barrier...but I am not sure if i did this right and if any part of this equation doesn't make sense ill try to explain...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eddard said:
Hey... I need help on a question i know how to calculate the decceleration of the truck in the problem below but I am not completely sure about how you would be able to find the conclusion to this question? Help would be appreiated o:)

A 920 kg car is 65m from a concrete barrier traveling at 125 km/h, when the driver notices and slams on the breaks. The fritional force acting on the car is 8600N. Is the driver able to stop the car in time? :eek:
I am not sure what you are doing here. The easiest way to do this is to use energy. The force x stopping distance must equal the initial kinetic energy of the truck. If the stopping distance is greater than 65 m then it hits the wall.

Since Fd = KE, the stopping distance is: d = KE/F

Work that out and see if d is less than 65 m.

AM

Hi there,

It looks like you have correctly calculated the acceleration of the car and used the kinematic equation to find the distance it will travel before stopping. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you have used the correct units and conversions. Also, keep in mind that there may be other factors at play in a real-life scenario, such as reaction time and road conditions, that could affect the outcome. Overall, your approach seems sound and with some minor adjustments, you should be able to confidently conclude whether or not the driver is able to stop the car in time. Keep up the good work!

What does it mean to "check this over"?

The phrase "check this over" typically refers to reviewing or examining something in order to find and correct any errors or mistakes.

Why is it important to have someone check something over?

Having someone check something over can help ensure its accuracy and improve its overall quality. It can also provide a fresh perspective and catch any mistakes that may have been missed by the original creator.

Who is qualified to check something over?

Ideally, someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter of the piece should be chosen to check it over. This could be a fellow scientist, a mentor, or a professional in the field.

How thorough should the checking process be?

The level of thoroughness will depend on the importance and complexity of the piece being checked over. In general, a thorough and detailed review is recommended to ensure the highest level of accuracy.

What should be done after someone checks something over?

After someone has checked something over, any necessary changes or corrections should be made and the piece should be reviewed once more to ensure that all errors have been addressed. It is also important to thank the person for their time and effort in checking the piece over.