Determinant of 4x4 Matrix with Given Value and Variable Columns

• Thread starter LaraCroft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix A with rows v1, v2, v3, and v4 is -2. When creating a new matrix with the columns v1, 9v2+5v3, 5v2+8v3, and v4, the determinant can be found by multiplying the original determinant by 9 and adding it to the product of the original determinant and 5, resulting in a determinant of -18.
LaraCroft

Homework Statement

If a 4x4 matrix A with rows v1, v2, v3 and v4 has determinant detA =-2

then

then det (v1, 9v2+5v3, 5v2+8v3, v4) =___?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think it should be -18 (since 9 x -2). I mean the determinant should not change when adding columns to each other, however multiplying should have an effect, but I am not quite sure what happened to the v3, like do I multiply the determinant by 8, or 5, or none?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a sample, det(v1,9*v2+5*v3,v3,v4)=
det(v1,9*v2,v3,v4)+det(v1,5*v3,v2,v5)=
9*det(v1,v2,v3,v4)+5*det(v1,v3,v3,v4). What's that? Now what happens if you put the linear combination in for v3 as well?

What does "Can someone check my answer" mean?

"Can someone check my answer" is a common question asked by students or individuals who are unsure if their answer to a question or problem is correct. It is a request for someone else to review and confirm the accuracy of their answer.

Why do people ask for their answers to be checked?

People ask for their answers to be checked because they want to ensure that they have understood a concept correctly or have solved a problem accurately. It helps to confirm their understanding and avoid potential mistakes.

Who can check my answer?

Anyone can check your answer, but it is best to ask someone who is knowledgeable in the subject or has expertise in the specific question or problem. This could be a teacher, tutor, or a classmate who is familiar with the material.

How can I make sure my answer is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your answer, you can double-check the question and your solution, use reliable resources to reference, and ask someone else to review and provide feedback. It is also helpful to show your work or explain your reasoning to identify any errors.

Is it okay to ask someone to check my answer?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask someone to check your answer. In fact, it is recommended to seek feedback and confirmation of your understanding to improve your knowledge and skills. Just make sure to also put in the effort to find the answer yourself first before asking for assistance.