Can the Laplace-ian Problem be Simplified?

• Thread starter Raparicio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a problem involving a partial derivative and the Laplace-ian operator. The solution involves rearranging terms and using the properties of the nabla operator. The conversation also includes clarification on the order in which the nabla operator should be applied.
Raparicio
Dear Friends,

I have this problem:

[tex] \frac{i\hbar\Psi}{2m}\frac{\partial\nabla\Psi}{\partial t}+(\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}\nabla)\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}[/tex]

... and i'd like to simplify it... is is possible?

best reggards

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way i can see it,u may write the laplace-ian in the second term.I assume [itex] \Psi [/itex] to be scalar,hence nabla apllied on it would be the gradient and another nabla would mean laplace-ian...It could mean hessian,but i doubt it is the case here...

Daniel.

Like this?

want you mean this?

[tex] \frac{i\hbar\Psi}{2m}\frac{\partial\nabla\Psi}{\partial t}+(\frac{i\hbar(\nabla^2\Psi)}{2m})\frac{i\hbar(\nabla\Psi)}{2m}[/tex]

No,i mean this:
[tex] \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\Psi \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\nabla \Psi+\frac{i\hbar}{2m}(\nabla\Psi)\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\Delta \Psi [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.Nabla is an (differential) linear operator which applies to the right ALWAYS...

Sorry,it's the same thing as you have written,it's just that i thought u applied that nabla to the left (else you would have written like i did,without changing the order of terms),instead of to the right...

My applogies,if i assumed a wrong thing...

Daniel.

Related to Can the Laplace-ian Problem be Simplified?

What is a laplace-ian problem?

A laplace-ian problem is a type of differential equation that involves the laplace operator (∇²) and its solutions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe various physical phenomena.

Why is it important to simplify laplace-ian problems?

Simplifying laplace-ian problems can make them easier to solve and interpret. It can also help to identify the underlying physical principles and make predictions about the behavior of systems.

What are some common techniques for simplifying laplace-ian problems?

Some common techniques for simplifying laplace-ian problems include using separation of variables, applying boundary conditions, and using symmetry arguments to reduce the number of variables.

What are the limitations of simplifying laplace-ian problems?

One limitation is that simplifying too much can lead to oversimplification and loss of important information. It is important to strike a balance between simplifying the problem and retaining its essential features.

How can simplifying laplace-ian problems benefit scientific research?

Simplifying laplace-ian problems can lead to a better understanding of physical principles and help to develop more accurate models and predictions. It can also aid in the design and optimization of systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.