1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can there be cubic asymptotes in rational functions

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    I just got this assignment for math and the question was is it possible to have a cubic asymptote in a rational function. If so explain how and where.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is a "cubic" asymptote?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    im not really sure, but we have to figure it out. Its like vertical, horizontal and oblique asymptotes in rational function. I have to figure out if there could be a cubic asymptote. I know that there could be a quadratic asymptote, but im not sure about cubic.

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then, what is a "quadratic" asymptote? Those terms is unfamiliar to me regarding asymptotes.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    A quadratic asymptote is an asymptote on a rational function which looks like a parabola. So if you are graphing a rational function with a quadratic asymptote is doesnt pass through. Just like the oblique, vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Asymptotes don't "look like parabolas". They are straight lines. And I am certain your text doesn't define a quadratic asymptote as one that "looks like a parabola". Tell me, word for word, what your text definition of a quadratic asymptote is. How can you hope to solve a problem if you don't know the definitions?

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7
    For example 2x^3/x-1, when you divide 2x^3 by x-1 you will get a quadratic function, when you graph that function, that will be the quadratic asymptote.

9. Mar 8, 2013 #8
    I found an example of a cubic asymptote on http://www.webgraphing.com/graphing_basic.jsp [Broken]
    The rational function was f(x)= (2x^4)/(x-1).
    Now I am curious if you can have asymptotes of any degree...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Mar 8, 2013 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't run across this term (cubic asymptote) before, but I would guess that it means that for large |x|, the graph approaches that of some cubic polynomial.

11. Mar 8, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is the obvious guess, and similarly for a "quadratic" asymptote. But it annoys me when posters won't look up definitions in their own texts and instead abandon the thread as jann95 has apparently done.

12. May 1, 2013 #11
  13. May 1, 2013 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, and asymptote does NOT have to be a straight line. Any curve can be an asymptote to a graph. The only requirement is that the graph, as x-> a, must get arbitrarily close to the curve without reaching it.

14. May 1, 2013 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To quote from Wikipedia which, as we all know, is the ultimate source of correctness in mathematics :uhh::

"More generally, one curve is a curvilinear asymptote of another (as opposed to a linear asymptote) if the distance between the two curves tends to zero as they tend to infinity, although usually the term asymptote by itself is reserved for linear asymptotes."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted