1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this be done with a heat exchanger?

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    A customer of mine came to me asking for a price on a plate heat exchanger for water. The data he brought me was the following:

Primary side: 1,9 l/s and 12/16 C.
    Sec. side: 2,4 l/s and 14/18 C.

I was just wondering if it is even possible to have different flows when the delta T is the same on both sides...?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, conservation of energy requires that they be the same.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Thx, good to get that confirmed. Any tips on how I can easily explain this to him so that he "gets it" ?

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Don't. Just ask him where the other energy goes.

6. Jul 7, 2011 #5
    If the temperatures of the fluid were drastically different it would be possible for different flowrates to give identical drops in temperature as specific heat is temperature variant. However, in this case the temperatures are so close that specific heat is in effect constant.
    ---------------
    http://www.cfdengineer.com.

7. Jul 8, 2011 #6
    Is it the same liquid on each side? If the specific heat capacities are different you might get the same Delta T with different flow rates.

8. Jul 9, 2011 #7
    I agree with doc.

I am not an engineer, just a Mechanical contractor. The Delta T's you listed are so close, they are in effect the same. If the fluids were different, then maybe. But you deltas are so close.....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook