Can Light Be Trapped Between Mirrors and Is There Energy Loss?

• Thread starter abc007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of trapping light between mirrors and the potential energy losses that may occur. While imperfections in mirrors may make it difficult to achieve perfect reflection, there is still potential for trapping light in this manner. A study has been done on using special mirrors to trap light, but it may not be exactly what was being discussed."
abc007
can we trap light?

hi every body
i read about Optical fiber and how light is reflecting inside wire by the principle of Total internal reflection and I wonder, is it possible to trap light between mirrors and if yes,then is it going to be an energy losses ??
:confused:

Science news on Phys.org

I don't think we can trap light because there can't be perfect angle so that light could come in and don't come out

Between normal mirrors that we can produce with todays technology, there will always be losses, you can see this when you hold two mirrors opposite each other, in theory the reflections should go on for ever, but in practice they curve away due to imperfections in the mirror.

However, I don't think that there is anything (theoretically) stopping someone from trapping light in that way.

Thank you for replying

but how the mirror will arrange to make it theoretically possible ?

1. Can light be physically trapped in a container?

No, it is not possible to physically trap light in a container. Light is a form of energy that travels in the form of electromagnetic waves and does not have mass. Therefore, it cannot be contained in a physical space.

2. Is it possible to slow down or stop the speed of light?

Yes, light can be slowed down or even stopped in certain mediums such as water, glass, or diamond. This is due to the interaction of light with the atoms and molecules in these substances, causing it to travel at a slower speed.

3. How does light behave when it passes through different materials?

When light passes through different materials, it can be absorbed, reflected, or refracted. The behavior of light depends on the properties of the material it is passing through, such as density and transparency.

4. Can we use mirrors to trap light?

No, mirrors do not trap light. They reflect it, which means that they redirect the light that hits their surface. This is why we can see our reflection in a mirror, as the light bounces off the mirror's surface.

5. Are there any practical applications for trapping light?

Yes, there are practical applications for trapping light such as in fiber optics, where light is trapped and guided through thin fibers for communication purposes. Light trapping is also used in solar cells to increase their efficiency by capturing more light for energy conversion.