Cancellation of Groups in Internal Direct Products

In summary, G, H, and K are groups with G being finite. It is given that GxH is isomorphic to GxK. The task is to prove that H is also isomorphic to K. However, for this to hold, H and K must have the same order. The proof for this involves finding maps \theta and \psi that satisfy certain conditions. It should also be noted that the isomorphism between H and K may not hold if G is infinite, as shown by the counterexample of Rx{0} and RxR.
Oster
G, H, K are groups. G is finite. GxH is isomorphic to GxK. Prove H is isomorphic to K. Give an example to show that this does not hold when G is infinite.

The counter example when G is infinite is Rx{0} and RxR (R - real numbers)
I'm having trouble Proving the main part of the question. I have a hunch that the image of Gx{0} in GxK will be the direct product of a subgroup of G and a subgroup of K. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oster said:
G, H, K are groups. G is finite. GxH is isomorphic to GxK. Prove H is isomorphic to K.

The first observation is that, for an isomorphism to exist between finite groups, the orders of the groups must be equal. So immediately H and K are of the same order.

Any isomorphism [itex]\phi : G \times H \to G \times K[/itex] can be written in terms of maps [itex]\theta: G \to G[/itex] and [itex]\psi : H \to K[/itex] as
[tex]\phi(g,h) = (\theta(g),\psi(h))[/tex]
Now work out the conditions [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] must satisfy for [itex]\phi[/itex] to be an isomorphism.

Last edited:
H and K need not be finite. And I don't see why your second claim should hold. Can you explain a bit more please?

Oster said:
H and K need not be finite. And I don't see why your second claim should hold. Can you explain a bit more please?

I should have [itex]\phi(g,h) = (\theta(g,h),\psi(g,h))[/itex] for [itex]\theta : G \times H \to G[/itex] and [itex]\psi : G \times H \to K[/itex]. The idea is then to look at [itex]\phi(1,h)[/itex].

1. What is the concept of "Cancellation of Groups" in Internal Direct Products?

The cancellation property in groups states that if two elements in a group have the same product with another element, then they must be equal. In the case of internal direct products, this means that if two subgroups intersect only at the identity element, then the product of those subgroups is isomorphic to their direct product.

2. How is the cancellation property related to the internal direct product of groups?

The cancellation property is a necessary condition for the existence of an internal direct product of groups. If two subgroups intersect only at the identity element, then their product must be isomorphic to their direct product, allowing for the formation of an internal direct product.

3. Can the cancellation property hold for non-abelian groups in an internal direct product?

Yes, the cancellation property can hold for non-abelian groups in an internal direct product. In this case, the subgroups must not only intersect at the identity element, but also commute with each other.

4. What are the benefits of having the cancellation property in an internal direct product?

The cancellation property in an internal direct product allows for a simpler and more efficient way to work with the resulting product group. It also ensures that the product group is unique up to isomorphism.

5. How is the cancellation property used in real-world applications?

The cancellation property in internal direct products is often used in abstract algebra and group theory to prove various theorems and results. It also has applications in cryptography, where it is used to construct secure encryption algorithms.