Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cancelling out Power Supply Noise out COMPLETELY

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    Hi I have a HV (R2) resistor that I want to test for noise. Assuming the 2 low voltage resistors are perfectly stable and HV R1 is also perfectly stable. How could I completely cancel out the noise of the power supply if the bridge was slightly unbalanced? Does any circuit exist that can do this?

bridgesetup.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, there is no such thing as a PS with no noise. There are some very low noise supplies out there (use a battery) but I'd say that if the noise of the PS is that problematic you need to re-think your measurement methodology.
    What is the resistance of R2? Remember that you also have the thermal noise (of R2 and the rest of the circuit) to deal with, and that can be substantial even compared to the input noise of a typical OP-amp.
    Also, which bandwidth are you interested in?

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3

Hi thanks for the reply. I know it is impossible to design and build a PS with no noise. The value of R2 is 600Mohms. I am looking for some type of circuit configuration that will cancel the noise and the HV of the power supply but at the same time allowing me to measure the noise of R2.

I have thought about using a HV cap in place of R1 as they have much less noise. However balancing the circuit so that it cancels out all the power supply noise is proving difficult and I am still reading some of the PS noise.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But again. which BW are you interested in? If you are only interested in say the noise between 10kHz and 100kHz you might be OK with a PS that lets a lot of mains+harmonics through, but perhaps not OK with a switching supply that switches at e.g. 20 kHz and so on.
    The BW is a crucial parameter when designing noise measurement experiments.

Also, a 600 Mohm resistor will give you a lot of thermal noise unless you restrict the BW of you circuit (a few mV/sqrt(Hz)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook