Cant get y-component of point charges on test charge

In summary, the problem involves six point charges, four positive and two negative, fixed at certain positions in the x-y plane. A test charge Q is placed at the origin and the goal is to find the x- and y-components of the total force on Q. The x-component is successfully calculated, but the y-component is not. After attempting to use the formula for calculating the y-component, it is realized that the two charges on the y-axis cancel out, resulting in a total force of 0 N in the y-direction.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

Six point charges, four positive (+q) and two negative (-q), are fixed at thepositions shown (i attached a .gif file --pls tell me if this isn't visable) in the x-y plane; q = 2.1 × 10-6C and a = 0.93 m. A test charge Q = 0.6 × 10-6C is at the origin.

(a) Find the x- and y-components of the total force on Q:

Homework Equations

i successfully calcd the x-component (-.017016N) but can't get the y component

The Attempt at a Solution

heres what i did

1. labelled the charges A thru F starting with the charge on the neg y-axis (A) and the labelled in cw direction.

2. so for y component everything either cancels or has no y-component, EXCEPT for the 2 charges on the y-axis. These are both pos charges.
so here's the calc
Ay = (9*10^9)(2.1*10^-6)(.6*10-6) / (.93^2) = .01311N (pos charge)
Dy = (9*10^9)(2.1*10^-6)(.6*10-6) / (.93^2) = .01311N (also pos charge)
so 2(.01311) = .02622N
this is wrong!
please help!
thanks

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    812 bytes · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
mujadeo said:
2. so for y component everything either cancels or has no y-component, EXCEPT for the 2 charges on the y-axis.

No. this is wrong. The two charges on the y-axis exert equal but opposite forces on Q, hence they cancel.

Which are the two charges you need to consider?

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct equations for calculating the force on a test charge due to multiple point charges. Additionally, it is important to take into account the direction of the forces and use vector addition to calculate the total force on the test charge. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

What is the meaning of "Cant get y-component of point charges on test charge"?

This phrase refers to the inability to determine the y-component of the electric field at a point due to a test charge, which is a small charge used to measure the electric field at a particular location.

Why is it important to be able to calculate the y-component of point charges on test charge?

Knowing the y-component of the electric field at a point is crucial in understanding the overall behavior of electric charges in a system. It helps in predicting the motion of charged particles and determining the strength and direction of the electric field.

What factors can affect the ability to calculate the y-component of point charges on test charge?

The main factor that can affect this calculation is the complexity of the electric field, which depends on the number and distribution of the other charges in the system. Additionally, the distance between the test charge and the other charges can also play a role.

How can one overcome the challenge of not being able to get the y-component of point charges on test charge?

One way to overcome this challenge is by using mathematical techniques such as vector addition and integration to calculate the electric field at a point due to multiple charges. This can help in determining the y-component of the electric field at a specific location.

Are there any practical applications of calculating the y-component of point charges on test charge?

Yes, there are many practical applications of this calculation, such as in designing electronic circuits, studying the behavior of charged particles in medical imaging, and understanding the forces involved in chemical reactions. It is also essential in fields like electrostatics and electromagnetism.