Can't remember equation for coefficient

In summary, the conversation discussed a lab in class on calculating an unknown variable, possibly involving acceleration and the coefficient of friction. The other person in the conversation reminded the speaker of the definition of friction force and the need to create a free body diagram to find the necessary equations.
Arwing
Homework Statement
A crate rests on a flatbed truck which is initially traveling at 17.9 m/s on a level road. The driver applies the brakes and the truck is brought to a halt in a distance of 45.6 m. If the deceleration of the truck is constant, what is the minimum coefficient of friction between the crate and the truck that is required to keep the crate from sliding?
Relevant Equations
Fst=ma, Fn-Fg=ma
We did a lab in class on how to calculate it but he collected it and its days later, can't remember how to attempt it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Arwing ,
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

Unfortunately we can't help if you don't post your attempt at solution (see guidelines).

However, you will need some more equations:
to relate the acceleration to initial speed and the distancce of 45.6 m​
to relate the coefficient of friction to some other variables in the problem.​

And: I have no idea what Fst is, or what Fn-Fg=ma means ...

##\ ##

You don't need to remember anything. You have the definition of friction force available everywhere and you have to do a free body diagram to find the equations needed.

Likes PhDeezNutz and hutchphd

1. What is the equation for coefficient?

The equation for coefficient is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between two variables in a linear regression model. It is typically written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I calculate the coefficient?

To calculate the coefficient, you will need to have a set of data points for both variables and use a statistical software or calculator to perform a regression analysis. This will give you the values for m and b in the equation y = mx + b.

3. What is the purpose of the coefficient in a regression model?

The coefficient in a regression model helps us understand the relationship between the independent variable (x) and the dependent variable (y). It tells us how much the dependent variable changes for every unit change in the independent variable.

4. Can I use the coefficient to make predictions?

Yes, the coefficient can be used to make predictions about the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variable. However, it is important to note that the coefficient is only accurate within the range of the data that was used to calculate it.

5. What should I do if I can't remember the equation for coefficient?

If you can't remember the equation for coefficient, you can always refer to a textbook or online resources for a refresher. Alternatively, you can also use a statistical software to perform the calculations for you. It is important to understand the concept behind the equation rather than just memorizing it.