Cant seem to figure this out

• Thread starter fatboy12341
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses a Rutherford gold experiment where alpha particles are beamed at a gold foil. The goal is to determine the closest distance an alpha particle can get to a gold nucleus when approaching head on. The conversation also touches on using an equation involving the kinetic energy of the alpha particle, the charge of the gold nucleus, and other factors. However, there is confusion about the principles and equations being used, as well as the relationship between kinetic and electric potential energy at the closest distance.
fatboy12341
in a rutherford gold experiment, alpha particles with sharge +2e and a kinetic energy of 7.7 Mev were beamed at gold foil. the nuclius of a gold atom contains 79 protons, giving it a charge of +79e. What is the closest distance that an alpha particle can get to a gold nucleus when it approaches head on ?

ok i used the equation En=k^2 x e^4 me . Z^2
2xh^2 h^2

i am getting n^2= -9.07x10^21

i know this is wrong and am getting quite frustrated
if some on could help me it would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
can some one tell me if i am eve using the right formula\

We don't know the distance of the alpha particle source with the gold sheet?

fatboy12341 said:
in a rutherford gold experiment, alpha particles with sharge +2e and a kinetic energy of 7.7 Mev were beamed at gold foil. the nuclius of a gold atom contains 79 protons, giving it a charge of +79e. What is the closest distance that an alpha particle can get to a gold nucleus when it approaches head on ?

ok i used the equation En=k^2 x e^4 me . Z^2
2xh^2 h^2

i am getting n^2= -9.07x10^21
I am not sure what you are doing here. Can you explain what the principle is here? How is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle related to the closest distance between the alpha and the gold nucleus? What is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it is at the closest distance? Where did the energy go?

AM

Adding to AM's questions, what is the electric potential energy of the alpha particle at its closest approach, and how is it related to the alpha particle's kinetic energy?

1. Why can't I figure this out?

Figuring out complex problems or concepts can be challenging and can take time. It's important to approach the issue with patience and persistence. Sometimes taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh mind can also be helpful.

2. What are some strategies for figuring things out?

Some strategies for figuring things out include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking help or advice from others, experimenting and trial and error, and using critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and experience. It's important to approach problems with a logical and systematic approach, breaking them down into manageable steps, and seeking feedback and learning from mistakes.

4. What should I do if I still can't figure it out?

If you are still struggling to figure something out, it's important to not get discouraged. Seek help from others, whether it's a mentor, colleague, or online resources. Sometimes getting a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a new light.

5. Is it normal to have difficulty figuring things out?

Yes, it is normal to have difficulty figuring things out, especially in scientific research or complex subjects. It's important to remember that it's a part of the learning process and to not get discouraged. With persistence and determination, you can overcome any challenges and figure things out.