1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance Circuit - Voltage and Charge

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The Question
    a. What is the equivalent capacitance of the combination shown in the figure ?
    b. If a 100V battery is connected across the combination, what is the charge on each capacitor?
    c. What is the voltage across each?
    uggphysics.jpg

2. Equations
    C=Q/V, adding capacitance rules

3. Solution attempt
    For part a, I added C2 and C3 to get .03, then added the two in series (1/.02)+(1/.03) and took the inverse to get a combination capacitance of .012 microF

I am stuck on parts b and c, though. For B, we know Q=V/C and for C2 it would be Q=(100V)(0.01microfarads) which gives a charge of 1 microcoulomb.

for C3 it would be Q=(100V)(.02microfarads)=2 microcoulombs.
    And for C1 it would be Q=(100V)(.02microF)= 2 microcoulombs.

However this answer is not working.

For part C, I tried plugging the charge and C in to the same equation to get the V back out, but again this has not worked. I'm not sure if my units are off, or if I am missing something conceptually.[/b]

Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, I just figured it out - I was trying to use the individual capacitance of C2 and C3 when I should have been using the combined since they are in parallel. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook