Help! Calculating Capacitance from Voltage & Charge

In summary, the charge on the capacitor increased by 21 microCoulombs when the voltage across it increased from 99 V to 127 V. To find the capacitance, you can use the equation Q=CV and divide the change in charge by the change in voltage. Alternatively, you can solve the system of two equations and two unknowns.
nw0rbrolyat
Capacitance (Please Help!)

Homework Statement

The charge on a capacitor increases by 21 \mu(micro) C when the voltage across it increases from 99 V to 127 V.

What is the capacitance of the capacitor?

Homework Equations

There is Q=cV, or C=Q/v. But there are 2 unknowns and no number for the charge? I am confused!

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start? =/
This is all that was given in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nw0rbrolyat said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
There is Q=cV, or C=Q/v. But there are 2 unknowns and no number for the charge? I am confused!

There are also two equations, so it should be OK.
Write the equation for each state (initial V=99 V and final V=127 V) and subtract the two equations.

I don't think I am following you. Use which equation?
I did x(99)=(x+21)(127) and got -95.25
I used C=QV

C=QV is incorrect.
I mean the equation Q=CV

All you know is that charge increased when you changed your voltage, which should be apparent from the equation Q=CV. This is a linear equation meaning that if you graphed Q as a function of V you would get a straight line whose slope is C. If you recall from geometry,

[tex]m=\frac{\Delta Y}{\Delta X}[/tex]

So dividing your change in Q by your change in V should yield C.

Alternatively, you can solve the system of 2 equations and 2 unknowns:

[tex]Q_{i}=C V_{i}[/tex]
[tex]Q_{f}=C V_{f}[/tex]

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a physical quantity that measures the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is represented by the letter C and is measured in Farads (F).

2. How do you calculate capacitance?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge (Q) stored on one of the conductors by the potential difference (V) between the two conductors. This can be represented by the equation C = Q/V.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

Voltage and capacitance have an inverse relationship. This means that as the voltage increases, the capacitance decreases. This relationship is represented by the equation C = Q/V, where Q is held constant.

4. Can capacitance be calculated from voltage and charge alone?

Yes, capacitance can be calculated from voltage and charge alone using the equation C = Q/V. However, this assumes that the voltage and charge are constant and that there are no other variables that may affect the capacitance.

5. How is capacitance used in everyday life?

Capacitance is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as batteries, radios, and computers. It is also used in electrical circuits to store energy and regulate current flow. Capacitors, which are components that store electrical charge, are commonly used in electronic devices and systems.