Capacitative current through cell membrane

In summary, the current flowing through a neural membrane (in steady state) is equal to the current flowing through ion channels and the capacitor.
boltdude
Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding/visualizing the movement of ions through a capacitor. My book says the total current flowing through a neural membrane (that is in steady state) is equal to the current flowing through ion channels (rm) and the capacitor. However, how can ions flow through a capacitor if the plasma membrane is in the way? Thanks - I'll probably need a dummied down explanation to understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not what you are asking- ion channels/transporters etc. are quite literally little holes in the membrane through which ions flow.

Welcome to PF!

boltdude said:
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding/visualizing the movement of ions through a capacitor. My book says the total current flowing through a neural membrane (that is in steady state) is equal to the current flowing through ion channels (rm) and the capacitor. However, how can ions flow through a capacitor if the plasma membrane is in the way?

Hi boltdude! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I know nothing about the subject :rolleyes:, but I remember seeing (but not reading :wink:) a thread in the Biology sub-forum, which may help you: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=258168 :smile:

The grammar in which the question was asked is slippery..Because first off current doesn't flow through or across a capacitor,it just builds up,charge is stored...If this is a problem from a physics textbook then revisit the account taking in mind the plasma could just be another dielectric material...If it is from a biology book which i think has something to do with neurons,synapses,the central nervous system,reflex actions and the like then just consider what another had said,plasma membrane has pores through which ions can pass through...The text account I think,was demonstrating the analogy between message transfer in neurons due to ions getting in and out of the membrane as the charging and discharging of the capacitor...You can even consider analogy between this and digital signals because the states are virtually the same,either ON or OFF!Am sure you mistook the book's statement,revisit it again,with consideration of what others have said here at PF!

current in = current out

but even with no current in at all the neuron can continue to fire thousands of tumes before it runs out of ions.

Last edited:

1. What is capacitative current through cell membrane?

The capacitative current through cell membrane refers to the flow of electric current caused by the movement of charged particles (ions) across the cell membrane in response to changes in the external electric field.

2. How does capacitative current through cell membrane occur?

Capacitative current through cell membrane occurs due to the presence of ion channels on the cell membrane. These channels open and close in response to changes in the external electric field, allowing charged particles to flow across the membrane and generate an electric current.

3. What is the role of capacitative current through cell membrane in cell signaling?

Capacitative current through cell membrane plays a crucial role in cell signaling. It helps to generate and propagate electrical signals within cells, which are important for functions such as muscle contraction, nerve impulses, and hormone secretion.

4. How is capacitative current through cell membrane measured?

Capacitative current through cell membrane can be measured using techniques such as patch-clamp electrophysiology or whole-cell recording. These methods involve placing an electrode on the cell membrane and measuring the changes in electric current as ions flow through the membrane.

5. What factors can affect capacitative current through cell membrane?

The flow of capacitative current through cell membrane can be influenced by various factors, including the concentration and type of ions present, the properties of the ion channels, and the electric field strength. Changes in these factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the current.