1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrophysiology Quick Homework Problems

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys,
    I've been trying to solve these two questions for the last hour and can't seem to find the solution, any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:

1. An RC circuit is given a step voltage (charging) of V at t = 0 seconds. What is the value of voltage at t = 2RC?

2. If the conductance of a single ion channel is 1pS and its capacitance per cm2 is 1mF and the time constant for a human neuron is 1ms:
    (a) What is the resistance per cm2 of a neuronal membrane?

(b) How many ion channels on average must there be in one µm2 of neuronal membranes?

2. Relevant equations
    T = RC
    Tau = Resistor x Capacitor

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. Tried attempting this question for a solid hour and not sure where to begin.
    (a) 1 x 10^-3ms = R x (1 x 10^-6F)
    R = 1000W per cm2
    (b) I know to divide the total current by the single current but I can't seem to find the solution to identify the total current.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

On question -1-, what is the equation for v(t) for an RC circuit that starts charging at t=0? You are correct that the time constant is RC, but how is that used in the actual equation?

4. Apr 28, 2017 #3
    Hi and thank you for the reply,
    I believe the equation is V(t) = V(1-e^-t/RC). If you require additional information please ask, and thank you for the help.

5. Apr 29, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the equation is correct, any particular reason to not just plug t=2RC into?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted