Electrophysiology Quick Homework Problems

In summary: Hi and thank you for the reply,I believe the equation is V(t) = V(1-e^-t/RC). If you require additional information please ask, and thank you for the help.Assuming the equation is correct, any particular reason to not just plug t=2RC into?
wubwubs

Homework Statement

Hi guys,
I've been trying to solve these two questions for the last hour and can't seem to find the solution, any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:

1. An RC circuit is given a step voltage (charging) of V at t = 0 seconds. What is the value of voltage at t = 2RC?

2. If the conductance of a single ion channel is 1pS and its capacitance per cm2 is 1mF and the time constant for a human neuron is 1ms:
(a) What is the resistance per cm2 of a neuronal membrane?

(b) How many ion channels on average must there be in one µm2 of neuronal membranes?

Homework Equations

T = RC
Tau = Resistor x Capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Tried attempting this question for a solid hour and not sure where to begin.
(a) 1 x 10^-3ms = R x (1 x 10^-6F)
R = 1000W per cm2
(b) I know to divide the total current by the single current but I can't seem to find the solution to identify the total current.

Physics news on Phys.org
wubwubs said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys,
I've been trying to solve these two questions for the last hour and can't seem to find the solution, any help would be very much appreciated. :smile:

1. An RC circuit is given a step voltage (charging) of V at t = 0 seconds. What is the value of voltage at t = 2RC?

2. If the conductance of a single ion channel is 1pS and its capacitance per cm2 is 1mF and the time constant for a human neuron is 1ms:
(a) What is the resistance per cm2 of a neuronal membrane?

(b) How many ion channels on average must there be in one µm2 of neuronal membranes?

Homework Equations

T = RC
Tau = Resistor x Capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Tried attempting this question for a solid hour and not sure where to begin.
(a) 1 x 10^-3ms = R x (1 x 10^-6F)
R = 1000W per cm2
(b) I know to divide the total current by the single current but I can't seem to find the solution to identify the total current.
Welcome to the PF.

On question -1-, what is the equation for v(t) for an RC circuit that starts charging at t=0? You are correct that the time constant is RC, but how is that used in the actual equation?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

On question -1-, what is the equation for v(t) for an RC circuit that starts charging at t=0? You are correct that the time constant is RC, but how is that used in the actual equation?

Hi and thank you for the reply,
I believe the equation is V(t) = V(1-e^-t/RC). If you require additional information please ask, and thank you for the help.

Assuming the equation is correct, any particular reason to not just plug t=2RC into?

Related to Electrophysiology Quick Homework Problems

What is electrophysiology?

Electrophysiology is the study of the electrical activity of cells and tissues, specifically the communication between cells through the movement of ions across cell membranes.

What are some common types of electrophysiology experiments?

Some common types of electrophysiology experiments include patch clamp recordings, voltage clamp recordings, and current clamp recordings. These techniques allow for the measurement and manipulation of electrical signals in cells and tissues.

What are some challenges in performing electrophysiology experiments?

Some challenges in performing electrophysiology experiments include maintaining the stability of the recording setup, minimizing noise and interference, and ensuring proper placement and seal of the electrodes.

What are the applications of electrophysiology in research?

Electrophysiology has a wide range of applications in research, including studying the function of neurons, investigating the mechanisms of diseases such as epilepsy and Parkinson's, and testing the effects of drugs and other treatments on cellular activity.

What are some resources for learning more about electrophysiology?

There are many resources available for learning more about electrophysiology, including textbooks, online courses, and scientific journals. Some popular textbooks include "Principles of Electrophysiology" by John C. McConnell and "Electrophysiology: The Basics" by Daniel McManus. Online courses can be found on websites such as Coursera and edX, and scientific journals such as Nature and Cell also publish articles on electrophysiology.