Exploring the Relationship Between Charge and Voltage in Biological Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a parallel plate capacitor in a biological system. The simulation software only takes the value of charge, not voltage. However, the capacitor equation states that C=Q/V, leading to the question of whether the charge remains constant when the voltage is increased. The response suggests that increasing the voltage will also increase the charge until the capacitor breaks down.
Oscar6330
capacitor problem! (Advanced)

Homework Statement

I am simulating a Biological system. For ease just consider it as a parallel plate capacitor. Now the simulation software takes the value of charge Q, but not the value of V. Now as C=Q/V, can we say that the charge Q of a parallel plate capacitor remains constant and V (say we increase from 5-8 volts) has no effect on Q of the capacitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oscar6330 said:
I am simulating a Biological system. For ease just consider it as a parallel plate capacitor. Now the simulation software takes the value of charge Q, but not the value of V. Now as C=Q/V, can we say that the charge Q of a parallel plate capacitor remains constant and V (say we increase from 5-8 volts) has no effect on Q of the capacitor.

Hi Oscar6330! :smile:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the biology, but the whole point of a capacitor is that when you increase the voltage, you increase the build-up of charge (until the capacitor breaks down by a spark jumping across it).

tiny-tim said:
Hi Oscar6330! :smile:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the biology, but the whole point of a capacitor is that when you increase the voltage, you increase the build-up of charge (until the capacitor breaks down by a spark jumping across it).

Hey thanks for the reply. Hence this means that if I put the max theoratical Q value, I will be able to do it.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

Capacitors are used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy. They are commonly used to filter out unwanted noise, smooth out voltage fluctuations, and provide a temporary power supply during brief interruptions.

3. What is the difference between a capacitor and a battery?

A capacitor and a battery both store electrical energy, but they do so in different ways. A battery uses chemical reactions to store energy, while a capacitor stores energy in an electric field. Additionally, capacitors can discharge their energy much faster than batteries.

4. Can a capacitor problem affect the performance of a circuit?

Yes, a faulty or malfunctioning capacitor can greatly affect the performance of a circuit. It can cause issues such as voltage spikes, noise, and unstable power supply, which can lead to circuit failure or incorrect readings.

5. How can I troubleshoot a capacitor problem?

To troubleshoot a capacitor problem, you can use a multimeter to test the capacitance, voltage, and resistance of the capacitor. You can also visually inspect the capacitor for any physical damage or leaks. If the capacitor is found to be faulty, it will need to be replaced to resolve the issue.