Capacitor with two dielectrics

In summary: So, in summary, the problem involves an air-insulated parallel-plate capacitor with capacitance C_0, charged to voltage V_0 and then disconnected from the charging battery. A slab of material with dielectric constant \kappa is inserted halfway into the capacitor, changing the capacitance to half of C_0 multiplied by (1 + \kappa/\kappa_{Air}). The stored energy in the capacitor can be calculated using the formula U = (1/2)C_0V_0^2, and the force on the slab can be found by taking the difference between the final and initial energies, divided by half of the capacitor-plate length L.
mXCSNT

Homework Statement

An air-insulated parallel-plate capacitor of capacitance [tex]C_0[/tex] is charged to voltage [tex]V_0[/tex] and then disconnected from the charging battery. A slab of material with dielectric constant [tex]\kappa[/tex], whose thickness is essentially equal to the capacitor spacing, is then inserted halfway into the capacitor. Determine (a) the new capacitance, (b) the stored energy, and (c) the force on the slab in terms of [tex]C_0[/tex], [tex]V_0[/tex], [tex]\kappa[/tex], and the capacitor-plate length L.

Homework Equations

[tex]C = \kappa \frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d}[/tex] for a parallel-plate capacitor with dielectric
[tex]\kappa_{Air} = 1.0006[/tex]
[tex]C = C_1 + C_2[/tex] for the equivalent capacitance of two capacitors in parallel
[tex]U = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/tex] (energy in a capacitor)
[tex]V = Q/C[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the capacitor to be two capacitors in parallel, one with half the area and therefore half the capacitance of [tex]C_0[/tex], the other with dielectric constant [tex]\kappa[/tex] and also with half the area.
[tex]C_1 = \frac{C_0}{2}[/tex]
[tex]C_2 = \frac{C_0 \kappa}{2 \kappa_{Air}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{total} = C_1 + C_2 = \frac{1}{2}C_0 \cdot (1 + \frac{\kappa}{\kappa_{Air}})[/tex]
And the energy is just [tex]\frac{1}{2}C_{total}V_0^2[/tex]

However I know this approach is incorrect. The professor worked this problem in class, and said that such an approach would over-simplify because the potential inside the capacitor would have to jump sharply as you crossed the edge of the inserted slab. He worked through an approach where he took into account that edge effect. Unfortunately I didn't write it down. Also, I am mystified how to get the force on the slab--I guess the slab must pick up some charge, but I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
We also have Gauss' law [tex]\oint_S \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \mu_0 Q_{enclosed}[/tex], and I remember the professor saying something about considering the situation as the slab is gradually moved in from one side a distance x, but I don't have any ideas. I still don't see what causes any force on the slab, unless it means the force on the slab while it is being moved (since the stored energy must increase and the only source for it is the motion of the slab).

Oops... never mind I was wrong.

Last edited:
The new capacitance is correct. In this situation charge is fixed. The old and new capacitor have the same charge... not the same voltage. So use that to calculate the energy stored in the new capacitor...

The force changes as the slab goes into the capacitor... does the question ask for the force at a particular point, or is it asking for a formula for the force at all points?

I think the question is asking for the average force on the slab... The capacitor loses energy... take the final energy - initial energy... That is the negative of the work done by the capacitor on the slab...

ie : -Fav*(L/2) = final energy - initial energy

Related to Capacitor with two dielectrics

1. What is a capacitor with two dielectrics?

A capacitor with two dielectrics is a type of capacitor that has two layers of different dielectric materials between its two plates. Dielectric materials are insulators that can store electrical energy.

2. How does a capacitor with two dielectrics differ from a regular capacitor?

A regular capacitor has one layer of dielectric material between its two plates, while a capacitor with two dielectrics has two layers. This allows for a higher capacitance and the ability to store more electrical energy.

3. What are the benefits of using two dielectrics in a capacitor?

Using two dielectrics in a capacitor allows for a higher capacitance, which means it can store more electrical energy. This makes it useful in applications where a higher amount of energy is required, such as in power supplies.

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor with two dielectrics?

The capacitance of a capacitor with two dielectrics can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each dielectric material using the formula C = C1 + C2, where C1 and C2 are the individual capacitances and C is the total capacitance.

5. What are some common dielectric materials used in capacitors with two dielectrics?

Some common dielectric materials used in capacitors with two dielectrics include paper, mica, ceramic, and plastic. These materials are chosen for their high dielectric constants and ability to store large amounts of electrical energy.