Capacitors - problem w/ diagram

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving finding the equivalent capacitance between two points in a circuit. The problem is posted in a forum and the user receives help from another user. The user is reminded not to double post and is given a solution to the problem. The user also expresses the need to get help from a wider range of people, hence the need to post in different forums.
njvc3
Hello, I was hoping to get some help with this problem..

Find the equivalent capitance between points a and b for
the group of capacitors connected as shown in the following
figure if C1=5.00µF, C2=10.00µF, and C3=2.00µF.

I appreciate the assistance. :smile:
~Val

[diagram attached]

Attachments

• #40.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post physics homework/exam-type problems in the HOMEWORK section.

Zz.

The lower portion of your diagram is ambiguous. It shows a wire shorting the capacitor leads, but I doubt that is what the problem intended. Show us how you think the problem should be done. What is the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series, or capacitors in parallel?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825

First you calculate the capacitance of the series connection of [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex]. Call it [tex]C_{12}[/tex].
The capacitance of the upper portion of the circuit is given by the parallel connection of [tex]C_{12}[/tex], [tex]C_3[/tex] and [tex]C_{12}[/tex].
The two [tex]C_2[/tex] capacitances of the lower part are short-circuited, so the overall circuit capacitance is the value of the upper part.

I merged the duplicate thread you created in EE with this one. Please do not double post!

Thanks SGT

Thank you SGT for giving me useful help to the problem..

Btw, it's necessary to get a wider array of people that
may be of some assistance -- THUS the need to post
in different rooms... alright

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied across the two plates of a capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the two plates, which stores energy in the form of an electrostatic potential.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

Capacitors are used in circuits to store and release electrical energy. They can smooth out fluctuations in voltage, filter out unwanted frequencies, and help regulate power supply.

4. What are some common problems with capacitors?

Some common problems with capacitors include short circuits, open circuits, and degradation of the dielectric material over time. These issues can cause a capacitor to fail and no longer function properly in a circuit.

5. How can I troubleshoot a problem with a capacitor in a circuit?

If you suspect a problem with a capacitor in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to test its capacitance and resistance. You can also visually inspect the capacitor for any physical damage or signs of leakage. If the capacitor is determined to be faulty, it will need to be replaced with a new one.