Voltage Measurement in a Capacitor Circuit with AC Charging

In summary, the voltage between points C and D will be 339V when the capacitors are fully charged and the voltage will be 679V when the capacitors are not fully charged.
John4

Homework Statement

Hi

I have been told that the question below might be similar to potential university interview questions for physics/electronic engineering.

In relation to this circuit diagram:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/diagram-ac-diode-capacitor-pd-question-png.90713/

Diagram - AC, diode & capacitor PD question.png

Initially 240V rms mains voltage is connected between terminals A and B in the circuit above. You can assume that the capacitors and diodes are appropriately rated to work at this voltage.
When the capacitors have ceased to charge, the mains voltage is disconnected.
What voltage will then be measured between points C and D?
To my mind the voltage between C and D will just be the sum of the voltages across the two capacitors but C1 will not charge so the 240V rms will be all across C2. This will result in the voltage between C and D to be 240V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To my mind the voltage between C and D will just be the sum of the voltages across the two capacitors but C1 will not charge so the 240V rms will be all across C2. This will result in the voltage between C and D to be 240V.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, are you working with an AC voltage source?? Because you are putting only 240V rms in AC circuit and there are capacitor which also consume imaginary voltage from an angular frequency. From your analogy, you are considering only the A port and thinking it to solve as DC circuit (one way to shortest route). Unfortunately, I am an first year, therefore its quite complex for me, but I think C1 will also provide energy to the circuit while getting charged through B port source. Therefore, you should consider both of the capacitors.

Likes John4
John4 said:
To my mind the voltage between C and D will just be the sum of the voltages across the two capacitors

Correct.
but C1 will not charge so the 240V rms will be all across C2.

That's incorrect. The input is AC and the circuit is effectively symmetrical. When C1 is charging C2 won't be but what happens in the next half of the cycle?

There are several ways to visualise what's going on but you might find it easier to redraw the circuit and imagine A is connected to 0V and B has 240V ACrms applied.

Note it's 240V ACrms not 240V AC pk.

Likes John4
The circuit can be redrawn to show the symmetry. How does the current flow when B is positive with respect to A and how, when B is negative with respect to A?
rectifier.JPG

Likes John4 and CWatters
Thanks for your help.

So am I correct in saying that each capacitor will charge to sqrt(2) * Vrms hence the DC voltage across each cap will be approximately 339V / the voltage from points C to D will be 679V?

Yes.

Likes John4
Thanks again for your help; much appreciated.

1. What is the difference between charging a capacitor with AC versus DC?

Charging a capacitor with AC refers to using an alternating current source to charge the capacitor, while charging with DC involves using a direct current source. The main difference is that AC causes the capacitor to alternate between charging and discharging, while DC results in a steady increase in charge.

2. How does charging a capacitor with AC affect the voltage across the capacitor?

When charging a capacitor with AC, the voltage across the capacitor will fluctuate as the current alternates. However, the overall voltage will increase as the capacitor charges up and decrease as it discharges, resulting in an AC voltage waveform across the capacitor.

3. Can a capacitor be charged with any type of AC waveform?

Yes, a capacitor can be charged with any type of AC waveform, including sine, square, and triangular waves. However, the resulting voltage waveform across the capacitor will vary depending on the type of waveform used.

4. How does the frequency of the AC source affect the charging of a capacitor?

The frequency of the AC source affects the charging of a capacitor by determining how quickly the capacitor charges and discharges. Higher frequencies will result in faster charging and discharging cycles, while lower frequencies will result in slower cycles.

5. Is there a limit to how much charge a capacitor can hold when charged with AC?

Yes, there is a limit to how much charge a capacitor can hold when charged with AC. This is known as the maximum charge or capacitance of the capacitor, and it is determined by the capacitance value and the maximum voltage of the capacitor. Exceeding this limit can damage the capacitor or result in a breakdown of the dielectric material.