What Is the Capacitance of a Parallel-Plate Capacitor with Circular Plates?

• Thread starter physicsbhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitance for a parallel-plate capacitor with circular plates. The equation for capacitance is given as C=\frac{k\epsilon _0A}{d} and there is also another equation for capacitance, C=\frac{Q}{V}. The value of k is approximately 1 for air or free space, and the value of \epsilon_0 is 8.85\times10^-12 \frac{C^2}{Nm^2}. The question asks for the answer to be in pF for a given radius and separation.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Capacitors VERY QUICK EASY QUESTION! PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has circular plates of 8.80 cm radius and 1.50 mm separation.
(a) Calculate the capacitance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
THE answer has to be in pF for part a)

I don't know what R is, and I don't know what L is. I can assume that A is the area, but the equation your teacher gave you makes no sense to me, as the equation for a parallel plate capacitor is:

[tex]C=\frac{k\epsilon _0A}{d}[/tex]

For air or free space, k is about 1.

There's also another equation:

[tex]C=\frac{Q}{V}[/tex]

Distance of separation.
Area.
Capacitance
Voltage
[tex]\epsilon_0=8.85\times10^-12 \frac{C^2}{Nm^2}[/tex]
Q = charge

Last edited:
I can't say if the answer is right or wrong without you showing any work.

Looks right.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it charges up by storing energy in the electric field between the plates.

2. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and tantalum capacitors. Each type has different properties and is suitable for specific applications. Ceramic capacitors are commonly used for high-frequency applications, while electrolytic capacitors are used for high capacitance values in power supply circuits.

3. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a capacitor are capacitance, voltage rating, and temperature stability. The capacitance value should be sufficient for your circuit's requirements, and the voltage rating should be higher than the maximum voltage in your circuit. Additionally, if your circuit operates in extreme temperatures, choose a capacitor with good temperature stability.

4. What is the purpose of capacitors in electronic circuits?

Capacitors play a crucial role in electronic circuits. They are used for filtering, decoupling, timing, and energy storage. They can also be used to block DC voltage while allowing AC signals to pass through, which is useful in audio and radio frequency circuits.

5. Can capacitors fail and how do I test them?

Yes, capacitors can fail due to factors such as overvoltage, aging, or high temperatures. To test a capacitor, you can use a multimeter to measure its capacitance, resistance, and leakage current. You can also perform a visual inspection to check for signs of physical damage or leakage.