12V Car Battery Amps: How Much Current Generated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of "cold cranking amps" for car batteries and how it has increased over the years. The topic then shifts to connecting a car battery to a motor and increasing the RPM of a motor. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of a magnetic motor generator and how it is an oxymoron. Finally, the conversation ends with the question of whether neodymium or alnico magnets can be used to make a magnetic power generator.
94yashwanth
hey guys can anyone pls say how much current in amps does a ordinary car battery of 12v generates?? pls...

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, the measurement used is "cold cranking amps", which is the bottom line when it comes to starting the vehicle. In the old days, that used to be somewhere around 350. I had to mount a 690 amp tractor battery in the trunk of my Roadrunner, in parallel with the standard unit, in order to start the engine in winter. Nowadays, though, you can get over 1,000 in a standard size case.

Danger said:
Generally, the measurement used is "cold cranking amps", which is the bottom line when it comes to starting the vehicle. In the old days, that used to be somewhere around 350. I had to mount a 690 amp tractor battery in the trunk of my Roadrunner, in parallel with the standard unit, in order to start the engine in winter. Nowadays, though, you can get over 1,000 in a standard size case.

thanx dude...and how can we connect a car battery to a motor?? and how to increase the RPM of a motor?? any idea!

94yashwanth said:
thanx dude...and how can we connect a car battery to a motor?? and how to increase the RPM of a motor?? any idea!

Can you elaborate one what you are trying to do exactly? It sounds like you want to pump a lot of amps through an electric motor, which is probably a very bad idea if you don't really know what you are doing.

94yashwanth said:
Assuming it's a "12 volt" (actually 12.8 volts or more if something is charging the battery at the same time) volt brushed DC motor, the current draw will be related to the load on the motor, with max current occurring on a stalled (not rotating) motor. As long as the battery can produce enough voltage and current, the limitation is on the motor side. Most motors will burn up if under too heavy a load and/or running for too long a time.

If it's a 12 volt brushless dc motor, you'll need a controller, and both the motor and controller will limit voltage and current.

Max rpm occurs under no load. Unless you run excessive voltage into a motor, like trying to run a 9 volt motor with a 12 volt source, there shouldn't be any issues with zero or light loads on the motor.

rcgldr said:
Assuming it's a "12 volt" (actually 12.8 volts or more if something is charging the battery at the same time) volt brushed DC motor, the current draw will be related to the load on the motor, with max current occurring on a stalled (not rotating) motor. As long as the battery can produce enough voltage and current, the limitation is on the motor side. Most motors will burn up if under too heavy a load and/or running for too long a time.

If it's a 12 volt brushless dc motor, you'll need a controller, and both the motor and controller will limit voltage and current.

Max rpm occurs under no load. Unless you run excessive voltage into a motor, like trying to run a 9 volt motor with a 12 volt source, there shouldn't be any issues with zero or light loads on the motor.

thanx dude...adn any idea how to make a magnetic motor!

94yashwanth said:
thanx dude...adn any idea how to make a magnetic motor!

:confused: :uhh:
All electric motors are magnetic. That's the only reason that they work.

Danger said:

yeah i do knw that...i wanted to know how to make a magnetic motor generator...

Google...

94yashwanth said:
motor generator...
Isn't that an oxymoron?

A motor takes electricity and produces work. A generator has work acted upon it and produces electricity.

They are antipodal.

DaveC426913 said:
Isn't that an oxymoron?

A motor takes electricity and produces work. A generator has work acted upon it and produces electricity.

They are antipodal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Generator

Converts electrical power from one form to another. We have them at work where they convert regular 60 hz AC power into 400 hz power. An electrical motor gets power from the mains and uses it to turn a generator configured to produce the 400 hz power.

DaveC426913 said:
Isn't that an oxymoron?

They are antipodal.

ok...and i wanted to know is using neodymium magnts or alnico magnets how to make a magnetic power generator??

Danger said:

ok...and i wanted to know is using neodymium magnts or alnico magnets how to make a magnetic power generator??

I see where this is going.
IBTL.

Troll.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the amps of a car battery?

Measuring the amps of a car battery is important because it tells you how much current the battery can generate. This is essential in determining the battery's health and its ability to power the vehicle's electrical systems.

2. How do I know how many amps my car battery is generating?

You can measure the amps of your car battery using a multimeter. Simply connect the multimeter to the battery's positive and negative terminals and set it to the DC current setting. The reading on the multimeter will tell you how many amps the battery is generating.

3. What is the ideal amperage for a car battery?

The ideal amperage for a car battery will vary depending on the size and type of the battery. Generally, a typical car battery has a amp-hour rating of 40 to 80 Ah, and a cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of 400 to 800 amps. It is important to consult your car's manual or a professional to determine the ideal amperage for your specific vehicle.

4. Can I increase the amps of my car battery?

No, you cannot increase the amps of your car battery. The amperage is determined by the battery's internal design and cannot be changed. However, you can upgrade to a higher capacity battery with a higher amp-hour rating to provide more power for your vehicle's electrical systems.

5. Will a higher amperage battery damage my car's electrical system?

No, a higher amperage battery will not damage your car's electrical system. The battery's amperage rating only indicates its ability to provide power, and the electrical system will only use the amount of current it needs. However, it is important to ensure that the battery's voltage matches the requirements of your vehicle.