Car Coasting Up a Hill: Equations for Velocity and Height

• Thread starter terwilld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Hill
In summary, the question at hand is how to come up with equations for velocity and height as a function of time for a car on a hill with constant slope and initial speed. The attempt at a solution involves converting kinetic energy to potential energy and using the force of deceleration to solve for acceleration. However, energy is not necessary to solve the problem.
terwilld

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question per se but rather something I was thinking about while driving the other day.

I am in a car on a hill with constant slope traveling at an initial speed. How can I come up with a set of equations describing both velocity as a function of time and and height as a function of time.

Homework Equations

Ke = (1/2)MV^2
d(Ke)dt = -m*g*sin(slope)v

The Attempt at a Solution

All attempts to find solutions to this question have been fruitless. Most physics / calc books seem to offer this question in a simplified version: how far up the hill does the car make it. I am far more interested in plotting the curve of speed as a function of time.

Based on my understanding:

As the car travels up the hill, kinetic energy (Ke) is converted to potential energy: Ke = Pe. Potential energy = mgh. The kink seems to be that the change in potential energy is not the same. At the start, speed is the greatest, thus the change in potential energy is greatest ( = mg(sin(slope)*v). However as the car climbs the hill, its speed changes, thus the rate at which its speed changes, changes.

so far:
Initial conditions:
Keo = (.5)*mvo2.
dKe/dt = -mgsin(∅)vo

how can I relate these to t, take a derivative of the first equation and set it equal to the 2nd?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your dKe/dt notion is not needed. -mgsin(∅)=F is, in fact, a force. It's the force slowing your car down. You can convert that into the rate at which you car is slowing down by using Newton's law, F=ma. So a=(-gsin(∅)) is the deceleration rate of your car. And it's a constant since the slope is constant. You really don't need energy at all to solve the problem you've got in mind.

Last edited:

What is coasting?

Coasting is when a car is moving without any external force or power applied to it, such as pressing the gas pedal or using the brakes.

What happens to a car when it is coasting up a hill?

When a car is coasting up a hill, it is slowing down due to the force of gravity pulling it back down the hill. The car's momentum is gradually decreasing until it reaches a point where it can no longer move forward and starts to roll back down the hill.

Can a car coast up a hill forever?

No, a car cannot coast up a hill forever. Eventually, the force of gravity will overcome the car's momentum and it will start to roll back down the hill. Additionally, friction from the road and air resistance will also slow the car down.

What factors affect a car's ability to coast up a hill?

The main factors that affect a car's ability to coast up a hill are its weight, the incline of the hill, and any external forces such as wind or air resistance. A heavier car will have more momentum and be able to coast farther up a hill, while a steeper incline will slow the car down more quickly. External forces can also impact the car's ability to coast, as they can either help or hinder its momentum.

Is coasting up a hill more fuel-efficient than using the gas pedal?

In most cases, coasting up a hill is not more fuel-efficient than using the gas pedal. This is because when coasting, the car's momentum is gradually decreasing and it may need to use more gas to regain speed once it reaches the top of the hill. Using the gas pedal to maintain a consistent speed can be more fuel-efficient in the long run.