Solve Car Crash Problem: 1082667 J Force Applied

In summary, the problem involves a 1015 kg car hitting a tree at 32 m/s and stopping in 0.03 seconds. The relevant formula to use is F = m * delta v / delta t, which results in a force of 1082667 J. The student was initially unsure of which equation to use, but with help from the teacher, they were able to solve the problem successfully.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

A 1015 kg automobile hits a tree at 32 m/s, coming to a complete stop in 0.03 s. What force was applied to the car by the tree? (Take the forward direction of the car as positive).

Homework Equations

i don't know what would be relevant.
f=m/a
f (cos theta) d

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer from the teacher is 1082667 J but i don't know how youre supposed to find that. i think I am missing some equation. i looked through everything can't really find one that has to do with mass velocity and time for a force. and i have no idea how to make up equations. well i probably could but it wouldn't be right.

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

Physics news on Phys.org
No...the formula is

[tex] F =ma =F \frac{ \Delta v}{\Delta t} = 1015 \left( \frac{32-0}{0.03} \right) [/tex]

get it?

oh yeah i meant that
haha

but how would you use that in the problem? because the mass is given. don't you use that? well you must have to because the answer is 1082667 J and i have no idea how to get that.

sweedeljoseph said:
oh yeah i meant that
haha

but how would you use that in the problem? because the mass is given. don't you use that? well you must have to because the answer is 1082667 J and i have no idea how to get that.

Sorry, there should have been a m, let me try it agian:

[tex] F =ma =m \frac{ \Delta v}{\Delta t} = 1015 \left( \frac{32-0}{0.03} \right) [/tex]

Do you get it now?

yes thank you so much!
i never learned that equation until now. i knew a=delta v/ delta t but that's it. i didnt know it was force.

thanks again
sweedeljoseph

sweedeljoseph said:
yes thank you so much!
i never learned that equation until now. i knew a=delta v/ delta t but that's it. i didnt know it was force.
That's because it isn't force only multiplied with a mass it becomes a force.

yeah i definitely feel stupid but now i get it!

1. How do you calculate the force applied in a car crash?

The force applied in a car crash can be calculated using the equation F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What does the number 1082667 J represent in the problem?

The number 1082667 J represents the amount of force applied in the car crash, measured in Joules (J). Joules are a unit of energy and can be calculated by multiplying the force in Newtons by the distance in meters.

3. How does solving the car crash problem help prevent future accidents?

Solving the car crash problem helps identify the factors that contribute to the force applied in a car crash, such as speed, mass of the vehicle, and impact angle. By understanding these factors, engineers and policymakers can develop strategies to improve car safety and reduce the risk of accidents.

4. Can this problem be solved using real-life data?

Yes, this problem can be solved using real-life data. In fact, many car manufacturers and safety organizations use data from real car crashes to better understand the forces involved and make improvements to vehicle design and safety features.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to the force applied in a car crash?

Yes, there are several other factors that can contribute to the force applied in a car crash, such as the type and condition of the road surface, the use of safety features like seatbelts and airbags, and the presence of other objects or vehicles involved in the crash.