Car Tire Wear and Odometer Accuracy Calculation

• Thread starter SPhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Tire
In summary, the person replaced the tires on their car with new ones, however, the odometer now reads 36.68 miles. The new tires are larger in diameter than the worn tires, and due to the revolutions of the car's engine, the worn tires lost a certain amount of tread per revolution.
SPhy
Even numbered book problem

Homework Statement

A person goes for a drive, and after, measured by the odometer, reads 37.35 miles in length. This person then replaces the tires with new ones and goes for the same drive, however, now the odometer reads 36.68 miles. Obviously the new tires are larger in diameter. The odometer counts the number of revolutions of a tire and then, using a calibrated diameter for said tire, converts this into a distance of travel.

1) Assume a tire diameter of 4 meters is the calibration entered into the car's odometer and calculate the diameter of the worn tire.

2) Can you calculate an approximation for the amount of tire lost per revolution? If you can, calculate it. If not, why?

Homework Equations

Circumference = pi x Diameter
Distance = Circumference x Revolutions

The Attempt at a Solution

First I want to calculate the first question, that is diameter of the worn tire. Before I do that I want to calculate the number of revolutions.

Revolutions = (37.35 miles)/(4 meters)(pi) ... After come unit conversions, I came up with 4780 revolutions.

Using that number, and 36.68 miles, I can calculate the diameter of the worn tires.

Diameter = (36.68 miles)/(4780 revolutions)(pi) = 3.93 meters. To me this makes sense because the diameter of the worn tire should be smaller.

Second part of the question,
Im assuming the question means, from the worn tires to the new tires, how much tire did I lose per revolution. This seemingly would translate to (change in circumference)/(change in revolution) . Though I feel I need to know more, and the above translation would not give me how much tire I lost per revolution. Thus part of me feels there is not enough information because I don't know how much tire I lost during the first trip that took 37.35 miles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the circumference of a circle 2pi r?

For the second part, I agree with your "answer", but not your reasoning. This is honestly just more of a critical thinking than a physics or anything.

Whats a good amount of tread to have on a tire? How long does a set of tires last roughly? You don't have to answer me, just think about it.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Isn't the circumference of a circle 2pi r?
Yes, and one diameter is 2r :wink:
For the second part, I agree with your "answer", but not your reasoning. This is honestly just more of a critical thinking than a physics or anything.
I suspect you are using the same reasoning, but would have expressed it in different words. OP says:
I don't know how much tire I lost during the first trip that took 37.35 miles
Seems fair enough to me.

Tires 4 meters in diameter? Those are some big tires. Must be driving some kind of Earth mover. :biggrin:

titan.jpg

doh! for some reason i took 4m to be the radius. Stupid words...

As for the second part well... I think I see what op means, but I still feel there's something missing... It's along the lines of what I'm thinking, but the word 'trip' is what's throwing me off. It's amazing what an apostraphe s can do to the meaning of a sentence.

What causes tire wear?

Tire wear can be caused by a variety of factors, including improper inflation, misalignment, overloading, and driving on rough or abrasive surfaces. Additionally, the quality and type of tire can also impact the rate of wear.

How can I prevent tire wear?

Regularly checking and maintaining proper tire inflation and alignment can help prevent tire wear. Avoiding overloading your vehicle and driving on rough or abrasive surfaces can also help prolong the life of your tires. Choosing high-quality tires and rotating them regularly can also help prevent wear.

What are the signs of tire wear?

The most common sign of tire wear is a decrease in tread depth. You may also notice uneven wear patterns, such as more wear on one side of the tire or in the center. Other signs include cracking or bulging in the tire walls, and excessive vibration or noise while driving.

Can tire wear affect my vehicle's performance?

Yes, tire wear can significantly impact your vehicle's performance. Worn tires have less traction, which can affect your ability to accelerate, brake, and turn safely. They can also cause your vehicle to pull to one side, decrease fuel efficiency, and increase the risk of hydroplaning on wet roads.

When should I replace my tires?

The lifespan of tires varies depending on factors such as driving habits, road conditions, and tire quality. However, a general rule of thumb is to replace tires when the tread depth reaches 2/32 of an inch. You should also replace your tires if you notice any signs of wear or damage, or if they are over 6 years old, even if the tread depth is still within the safe range.