Exploring the Electromagnetic Parameters of Carbon Fiber for CST Simulations

In summary: It looks like one way to reduce the doppler signature would be to increase the surface area of the propeller.
Unconscious
I would like to know parameters of this material, such as: ##\epsilon##, ##\mu## and ##\sigma##, for EM simulations with CST.
I can't find anything similar to carbon fibers or general plastic in the CST material library. Google is not helping me this time.
Does anyone know something more on this topic?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon fibres come in many forms. How is the surface fabricated? What holds it together?

Carbon fibres are long thin resistors. They are not effected by magnets, so ur = 1.00 and I expect Er will also be 1.00 because they are a very small component of the space they fill, but conductivity will be most important. Cross connections between fibres will be determined by the binder that holds them in place. We need more information about your application before we can help further.
Here is a start.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0f52/20d5451a03a92cad8d9f6ea387a3cc0f0b8a.pdf

• Informative
Likes anorlunda and berkeman
From the linked PDF I see that the value of ##\sigma## can oscillate between 526 S/cm and 2200 S/cm.

Baluncore said:
How is the surface fabricated? What holds it together?

Unfortunately, I don't know. I simply would simulate the RCS of a drone propeller, "made of carbon fiber".

There are many google hits for; RCS of composite propeller
Maybe search for stealth specifications of composites.

If you want to design a propeller that will not return a significant doppler signature, then you will have to select composites designed to have a surface resistance of 377 ohm, like air. A duct around the prop will also need to be absorptive so the shadow of the prop is not seen. You must select materials based on predictable EM properties.

If you are modeling an existing propeller, you will have to measure it.
Have you been following things like this;
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sandor_Bilicz/publication/304371650_The_Radar_Cross_Section_of_small_propellers_on_Unmanned_Aerial_Vehicles/links/5bfe4abb4585157b8172eb44/The-Radar-Cross-Section-of-small-propellers-on-Unmanned-Aerial-Vehicles.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Thanks for the documents.

1. What is the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How does carbon fiber interact with electromagnetic radiation?

Carbon fiber has unique electromagnetic properties due to its structure and composition. It is a good conductor of electricity and can absorb and reflect electromagnetic radiation depending on its orientation and thickness.

3. What are the EM parameters of carbon fiber?

The EM parameters of carbon fiber include its electrical conductivity, magnetic permeability, and dielectric constant. These properties determine how it interacts with different types of electromagnetic radiation.

4. How is carbon fiber used in EM applications?

Carbon fiber is commonly used in EM applications such as antennas, radar systems, and electromagnetic shielding. Its properties make it ideal for these purposes as it can be easily shaped and manipulated to meet specific needs.

5. What are the advantages of using carbon fiber in EM applications?

Using carbon fiber in EM applications has several advantages, including its high strength-to-weight ratio, low thermal expansion, and resistance to corrosion. It is also lightweight and has excellent electrical and thermal conductivity, making it a versatile material for various EM applications.