Solving Argon's Turbine Expansion Problem

In summary, Argon enters a turbine at a rate of 80.0 kg/min, a temperature of 800.C, and a pressure of 1.50 MPa. The gas expands adiabatically and exits the turbine at a pressure of 300 kPa. The maximum power output of the turning turbine is calculated to be 255.8 kW. The engine is estimated to have a maximum efficiency of 85.7%.
zandbera

Homework Statement

Argon enters a turbine at a rate of 80.0 kg/min, a temperature of 800.C, and a pressure of 1.50 MPa. It expands adiabatically as it pushes on the turbine blades and exits at pressure 300 kPa. (a) Calculate its temperature at exit. (b) Calculate the maximum power output of the turning turbine. (c) The turbine is one component of a model closed-cycle gas turbine engine. Calculate the maximum efficiency of the engine.

Homework Equations

e = Weng / Qh = 1 - Qc / Qh
PV/T = constant ( i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a), i used PV/T = constant to try and figure out the temperature, but I am not given a volume, and i don't know how to figure it out. I am assuming you have to use the flow rate, 80.0kg/min but i don't know how. i have the equation for the final temperature:

Tf = (800 C)(1.5MPa)Vf / (300 kPa)Vi

but i don't know the volumes, and i also don't understand why the pressure drops. i know that as the velocity of something moving through a hole increases the pressure decreases so is that what's happening? and i also know that as the volume drops, the pressure increases( i think?), so that would mean that Vf would be higher?

i just need some guidance on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
The key here is adiabatic expansion. What is the relation between P and V in that case (doesn't involve temperature)?

zandbera said:

Homework Statement

Argon enters a turbine at a rate of 80.0 kg/min, a temperature of 800.C, and a pressure of 1.50 MPa. It expands adiabatically as it pushes on the turbine blades and exits at pressure 300 kPa. (a) Calculate its temperature at exit. (b) Calculate the maximum power output of the turning turbine. (c) The turbine is one component of a model closed-cycle gas turbine engine. Calculate the maximum efficiency of the engine.

Homework Equations

e = Weng / Qh = 1 - Qc / Qh
PV/T = constant ( i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a), i used PV/T = constant to try and figure out the temperature, but I am not given a volume, and i don't know how to figure it out. I am assuming you have to use the flow rate, 80.0kg/min but i don't know how. i have the equation for the final temperature:

Tf = (800 C)(1.5MPa)Vf / (300 kPa)Vi

but i don't know the volumes, and i also don't understand why the pressure drops. i know that as the velocity of something moving through a hole increases the pressure decreases so is that what's happening? and i also know that as the volume drops, the pressure increases( i think?), so that would mean that Vf would be higher?

i just need some guidance on this one
There is a particular relationship between P and V during an adiabatic expansion. It has to do with the fact that as the gas expands and does work, the energy to do that work must come from the internal energy of the gas. The adiabatic condition must be used to determine the termperature of the gas during an adiabatic expansion.

AM

well for an adiabatic expansion i know that PiVi^y = PfVf^y where y = cp/cv, but i don't know the final and initial volumes so how does that help?

You don't need the actual volumes, you just need their ratio Vf/Vi.

Which is equal to the ratio of the final and initial pressures?

No. Use this equation to find the ratio Vf/Vi:
zandbera said:
PiVi^y = PfVf^y where y = cp/cv

Ohhhhh okay I think I get it now. Thanks

1. What is Argon's turbine expansion problem?

Argon's turbine expansion problem refers to the difficulty in efficiently expanding and utilizing the energy of the gas Argon in a turbine system. Argon is known to have a low density, which makes it challenging to extract energy from it through expansion.

2. Why is solving Argon's turbine expansion problem important?

Solving Argon's turbine expansion problem is important because Argon is a commonly used gas in various industries such as refrigeration, welding, and lighting. Finding a solution to effectively expand and utilize the energy of Argon can lead to more efficient and cost-effective processes in these industries.

3. What methods are being used to solve Argon's turbine expansion problem?

Scientists and researchers are exploring various methods such as using different turbine designs, optimizing expansion conditions, and adding additives to Argon to improve its energy extraction capabilities. Computational simulations and experimental studies are also being conducted to understand and address the issue.

4. What are some challenges in solving Argon's turbine expansion problem?

One of the main challenges in solving Argon's turbine expansion problem is the low energy density of the gas, which makes it difficult to extract a significant amount of energy. Another challenge is finding a solution that is cost-effective and applicable to various industries that use Argon.

5. Is there a solution to Argon's turbine expansion problem?

While there is no definitive solution yet, there are ongoing studies and advancements in turbine technology that show promising results in improving Argon's energy extraction capabilities. With continued research and development, it is possible to find a solution to Argon's turbine expansion problem in the future.