Find Minimum High h and Compression X for a Cart Going Around a Loop-the-Loop

In summary, the problem involves a cart of mass 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius 15 m with no friction. To safely negotiate the loop, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least 0.6 times the weight of the cart. The minimum height h above the top of the loop that the cart can be released from rest is 0.8 times the radius of the loop.
Aki Yamaguchi
I'm having trouble getting started on this entire problem. I've re-drawn it, I'm given the mass of the cart, and the radius of the loop.. but I have absolutely no idea how I can calculate even the first part of this (minimum high h).

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer. Thank you!

-----

The two problems below are related to a cart of mass M = 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius R = 15 m, as shown in the figures. Assume that friction can be ignored. Also assume that, in order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.6 times the weight of the cart. (Note: This is different from the conditions needed to "just negotiate" the loop.) You may treat the cart as a point particle.

a) For this part, the cart slides down a frictionless track before encountering the loop. What is the minimum height h above the top of the loop that the cart can be released from rest in order that it safely negotiate the loop?

b) For this part, we launch the cart horizontally along a surface at the same height as the bottom of the loop by releasing it from rest from a compressed spring with spring constant k = 10000 N/m. What is the minimum amount X that the spring must be compressed in order that the cart "safely" (as defined above) negotiate the loop?

c) When the car is descending vertically (ie at a height R above the ground) in the loop, what is its speed |v|?

d) At the bottom of the loop, on the flat part of the track, the cart must be stopped in a distance of d = 20 m. What average retarding acceleration |a| is required?

Attachments

• loop.gif
    loop.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 628
Physics news on Phys.org
Aki Yamaguchi said:
-----

The two problems below are related to a cart of mass M = 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius R = 15 m, as shown in the figures. Assume that friction can be ignored. Also assume that, in order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.6 times the weight of the cart. (Note: This is different from the conditions needed to "just negotiate" the loop.) You may treat the cart as a point particle.

a) For this part, the cart slides down a frictionless track before encountering the loop. What is the minimum height h above the top of the loop that the cart can be released from rest in order that it safely negotiate the loop?

Let's start with this part. What do we know?
a. There is no friction. The mechanical energy is conserved. If y the cart is at the top of the loop,

[tex]0.5 mv^2=mgh[/tex]

b. In the loop, the cart performs circular motion. The centripetal force, needed to this motion with speed v results as the sum of both the normal (to the loop) component of gravity and the normal force exerted by the loop. At the top both point vertically downward.

[tex]Fcp=mg+Fn=mv^2/R[/tex]

c. For safety,

[tex]Fn\ge 0.6 mg[/tex]

Continue...

ehild

I think that you have problem with minimum velocity required at the lowest point of the loop for safe negotiation of the loop. Actually if the velocity is not sufficient, the cart will leave the loop. so it must go to the heightest point and till then the normal reaction should not be zero. At heighest point the speed should be such that its weight provides the necessary centripetal force.

I have the same problem as Aki, what I did I set initial Energy = final Energy, since energy is conserved, so i end up having : gh = 0.5V^2 , just like what ehild had above. But how I can I get V?

huskydc said:
But how I can I get V?
By applying Newton's 2nd law to the cart as it passes the top of the loop. (As ehild shows.)

Once you get V (or better, once you get [itex]1/2mV^2[/itex]), then apply conservation of energy.

There is no friction. The mechanical energy is conserved. If y the cart is at the top of the loop,

(a) [tex]0.5 mv^2=mgh[/tex]

In the loop, the cart performs circular motion. The centripetal force, needed to this motion with speed v results as the sum of both the normal (to the loop) component of gravity and the normal force exerted by the loop. At the top both point vertically downward.

(b) [tex]Fcp=mg+Fn=mv^2/R[/tex]

For safety,

(c) [tex]Fn\ge 0.6 mg[/tex]

Well, I go further.

We express mv^2 from eq. (a) and insert it into eq. (b)

[tex] mv^2= 2mgh [/tex]

[tex]mg+Fn=2mgh/R \rightarrow Fn=mg(2h/R-1)[/tex]

The last condition (c) means the requirement given in the problem, that

...in order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.6 times the weight of the cart.
The weight of the cart is mg. So

[tex]Fn=mg(2h/R-1)\ge 0.6 mg\rightarrow 2h/R-1\ge0.6\rightarrowh/R\ge0.8[/tex]

So the starting height above the top of the loop should be at least 0.8 times the radius of the loop.

Check, please.

ehild

1. How do you calculate the minimum height needed for a cart to go around a loop-the-loop?

The minimum height needed for a cart to go around a loop-the-loop can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2)/(2g(1-cosθ)), where h is the minimum height, v is the velocity of the cart, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the loop-the-loop.

2. What is the relationship between the minimum height and the compression of the cart?

The minimum height and the compression of the cart are inversely proportional. This means that as the minimum height increases, the compression decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the conservation of energy, where the potential energy at the top of the loop is converted into kinetic energy at the bottom of the loop.

3. How does the mass of the cart affect the minimum height and compression?

The mass of the cart does not directly affect the minimum height and compression. However, a heavier cart will require more energy to move around the loop-the-loop, so it will need to start at a higher height to achieve the same velocity as a lighter cart. This means that the minimum height and compression will be greater for a heavier cart.

4. Can the minimum height and compression be calculated for any loop-the-loop?

Yes, the minimum height and compression can be calculated for any loop-the-loop as long as the velocity and angle of the loop are known. However, it is important to note that real-life factors such as friction and air resistance may affect the actual minimum height and compression needed for a cart to successfully complete the loop.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the minimum height and compression for a loop-the-loop?

This concept is often used in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters, to ensure the safety and enjoyment of riders. It is also important in engineering and design to determine the minimum requirements for a loop-the-loop structure. Additionally, understanding the minimum height and compression can help in analyzing the performance of different types of carts and improving their design.