Cart Pushing: what happend to s & fk?

• Thread starter Sakura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of force and work done in a scenario where a person pushes a 16.0 kg shopping cart at a constant velocity for a distance of 22.0 m. It was determined that the magnitude of the force exerted by the shopper was 54.9 N, and the work done by the frictional force was -1060 J. The conversation also touched on the concept of net force and how it relates to acceleration, as well as the use of cosine in the calculation of work done.
Sakura
Cart Pushing: what happened to s & fk??

A person pushes a 16.0 kg shopping cart at a constant velocity for a distance of 22.0 m. She pushes in a direction 29 degrees below the horizontal. A 48.0 N frictional force opposes the motion of the cart. (a) What is the magnitude of the force the shoper exerts? Work done by (b) pushing force, (c) friction force and (d) gravitational force?

(a) I used the formula W=(FcosΘ)s = F(cos29)-Fk = 54.9 N
My reasoning was to take the sum of the two forces (the force minus the frictional force), multiply by cosΘ and solve for F. But where did s (distance) go? I don't understand why it's not used?

(c) Work done by frictional force = -1060 J
I thought the force in this problem was 48 N. And so, I fugured W = 48(cos29)(22) Why is this not correct?
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this can be better explained, but I think of force as an instantaneous quantity. I don't think you should approach part a by thinking about work. What does the fact that the shopping cart is traveling at constant velocity tell you about the net force on the shopping cart?

As for part (c), what direction is the frictional force pointed in?

(a) The only thing I can think of is since velocity is constant, there is no acceleration, but I don't see how acceleration effects the net force. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing something here??

(c)In my diagram, Fk points in the left direction.

(a) Think Newton's laws. F = ma. So if a = 0, what does F equal? What does this tell you about Ffrction + Fpush?

(c) Why do you want to multiply by the cosine of the angle?

FAQ: Cart Pushing: what happend to s & fk?

1. What is cart pushing?

Cart pushing is the act of moving a cart or trolley by pushing it with force. It is commonly used in retail stores, warehouses, and transportation industries to transport goods from one place to another.

2. What happened to the letter "s" and "fk" in the question?

The letter "s" may have been omitted unintentionally, and "fk" is not a recognized word in the English language. It could be a typo or a slang term.

3. Is cart pushing a physically demanding job?

Yes, cart pushing can be physically demanding as it requires pushing heavy loads for extended periods of time. It can also put strain on the arms, back, and legs if proper techniques are not used.

4. What are some safety precautions to take when cart pushing?

Some safety precautions to take when cart pushing include wearing proper footwear with good traction, pushing with your legs instead of your back, and being aware of your surroundings to avoid collisions with people or obstacles.

5. Can cart pushing cause injuries?

Yes, if proper precautions are not taken, cart pushing can cause injuries such as strains, sprains, and muscle pain. It is important to use proper techniques and take breaks to prevent injuries.