Cartesian to Cyclindrical Coordinate

In summary, Cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes to locate a point in three-dimensional space, while cylindrical coordinates use two perpendicular axes and an angle. To convert from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates, you can use specific formulas. Cylindrical coordinates have advantages in solving problems involving circular or cylindrical shapes and can be used to describe circular motion. To graph points in cylindrical coordinates, you can plot them on a cylindrical coordinate system. And yes, it is possible to convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates using formulas.
destroyer130
Problem
problem.PNG

Solution answer
answer.PNG

For this one, my upper bound of z in cylindrical's is sqrt(4-r^2) instead of (4-r^2). Which one is right, mine or the solution? Thanks for helping me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
destroyer130 said:
Problem
View attachment 54032
Solution answer
View attachment 54033
For this one, my upper bound of z in cylindrical's is sqrt(4-r^2) instead of (4-r^2). Which one is right, mine or the solution? Thanks for helping me out.

I'd say you are right. Must be a typo.

You're right

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use three perpendicular axes (x, y, and z) to locate a point in three-dimensional space. Cylindrical coordinates use two perpendicular axes (r and z) and an angle (θ) to locate a point in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
z = z

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates?

One of the main advantages of using cylindrical coordinates is that they are particularly useful for solving problems involving circular or cylindrical shapes. They also simplify certain equations, making them easier to solve. Additionally, cylindrical coordinates can be used to describe motion in a circular path, such as the rotation of a wheel.

4. How do you graph points in cylindrical coordinates?

To graph points in cylindrical coordinates, you can plot the point (r, θ, z) on a cylindrical coordinate system. The r-value represents the distance from the origin to the point, the θ-value represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the point, and the z-value represents the height of the point above the xy-plane.

5. Can you convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates. To do so, you can use the following formulas:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)
z = z