1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian to polar integral help?

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    amnbn.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my only problem curently is in finding the angle θ. I do get the equation x^2 + y^2 =1 however am confused whether this would be a semi-circle on the positive axis or a full circle. because my teacher has notes that confuse me. for instance ∫[itex]\sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] -[itex]\sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] my formatting is a bit off but that would be higher/lower bound. that is the only case where she made a complete circle, instead of a semi circle.

if it is a semi circle, theta would be 0≤ θ ≤ PI/2
    however if its a full circle, since from y=-1 to y=1 it would be -PI/2 ≤ θ≤ PI/2.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x goes from 0 to the positive square root of ##1-y^2##. What part of the circle do you get when you solve it for ##x## and take the positive root? That will tell you which ##\theta##'s to use.

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    i think it would be the right hemisphere of the circle, since x=0 and increases, and the circle has radius of 1. so -PI/2 ≤ θ ≤ PI/2 what i got is right?

5. May 7, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    OK. then i got r3 by looking at f(x,y) so I ended up integrating ∫(r4 dr)dθ and got my final answer as PI/5.

7. May 8, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Integrating with r from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Yes, that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted