Solving Catapult Project: Finding Spring Constant

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the spring constant for a catapult project. The force of pulling back the catapult lever at different angles and the use of Hooke's Law were discussed. One lab partner obtained a force average of 6.68 N, while another group got a spring constant of about 2 N/m. The speaker is confused about whether to use the average force or the difference in forces and is unsure of what they are doing wrong.
Chloers
I'm doing a catapult project but I'm sort of confused.
I need to find the spring constant in order to get the elastic potential energy.
The force of pulling back the catapult lever to 36 degrees above the horizontal is 4.2 N. Right before the lever is at rest, 90 degrees, the force is 1.4 N.
One of my lab partners got the force average as 6.68 N.
My teacher told me to use the arc length as the x in the equation.
When that was plugged into the equation I got 68.346 N/m as the spring constant. Does that make sense? I asked another group and they got a spring constant of about 2 N/m.

I know I am suppose to use Hooke's Law but am I suppose to use the average force or the difference of the forces?

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without a sketch and other additional information, I think it is impossible to tell.

1. What is a catapult and how does it work?

A catapult is a simple machine that uses tension and release to launch objects into the air. It typically consists of a base, a lever, and a bucket or sling to hold the projectile. The lever is pulled back to create tension in the spring or other mechanism, and when released, the stored energy is transferred to the projectile, propelling it forward.

2. What is the spring constant and why is it important in a catapult project?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, and it determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring. In a catapult project, the spring constant is important because it affects the distance and accuracy of the projectile's launch. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will launch the projectile further and with more force.

3. How do you calculate the spring constant in a catapult project?

To calculate the spring constant, you need to measure the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement. The formula for spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement. By measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring and the resulting displacement, you can calculate the spring constant.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a catapult project?

Some common challenges when solving a catapult project include accurately measuring the force and displacement, as well as dealing with variations in the projectile's weight or shape that can affect the results. It is also important to ensure that the catapult is set up correctly and consistently for each test to obtain accurate and reliable data.

5. How can the spring constant be used to improve a catapult's performance?

By understanding and manipulating the spring constant, you can make adjustments to your catapult design to improve its performance. For example, increasing the spring constant can result in a more powerful launch, while decreasing it can result in a more controlled and precise launch. Additionally, knowing the spring constant can help you determine the optimal spring or other mechanism to use in your catapult for the desired results.