1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catenary spanned

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cable is spanned between two points at the left touching the ground and at the right smoothly spanned over a large roller. Assume that there's no friction present. The tension left at the bottom is H and the tension T at the top is such that T>H. The cable has a weight per unit length q and is spanned over an height h and is in static equibrilium.

Prove that:

T = H +q*h

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/537/96775335.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that the roller would give reaction forces perpendicular to the cable but other students told me that it works like a pulley and since there's the assumption that there's no friction I can disregard these forces, right? But I still don't know how to prove that formula.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    Hint:

Calculus and Analytic Geometry by Thomas.....

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Can you guide my in the right direction with the info of the book? Or give me the right chapter of the book?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. Mar 22, 2012 #4
    Chapter 10, third edition. The title of the chapter is Hyperbolic Functions.

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    Got it but it probably doesn't work if it's a beam instead of a cable, right? What happens with the expression if it is a beam?

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6
    How do you "smoothly span" a beam over a roller? A beam is a different animal.

8. Mar 27, 2012 #7
    I mean no friction suppose that at the ends there's no shear force or bending moment (or at least negliglible) is the formula still valid?

9. Mar 27, 2012 #8
    The reason why the cable pulls on both ends is because it cannot support itself. It has no resistance to bending stress - actually a cable does to a slight extent. If a beam could be bent over the frictionless pulleys such that it is horizontal where it touches them, it would remain there if undisturbed.

Think of a wheelbarrow with a load in it and a good set of bearings on its wheel. If you raise it, it does not want to run away from you. Yet, it is tilted upward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook