Cauchy integral problem: can this answer be simplified further?

In summary, the Cauchy integral problem is a mathematical problem where the values of a complex function inside a contour are found using the values of the function on the contour. It is typically solved using Cauchy's integral formula and can be simplified further in some cases. This problem has applications in various fields and there are alternative methods for solving it, such as using the Cauchy-Riemann equations or the Residue Theorem.
redshift
The question calls for using Cauchy's integral formula to compute the integral for Int.c z/[(z-1)(z-3i)] dz, assuming C is the loop |z-1|=3.
Taking z = 1 and f(z) = z/(z-3i), I came up with (2pi*i)/(1-3i), which seems like it could be simplified, but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the numerator and denominator with the complex conjugate of 1-3i = 1+3i. Than you will get rid of the 'i' in the denominator.

It is possible to simplify the answer further using the properties of complex numbers. First, we can rewrite the denominator as (z-1)(z-3i) = z^2 - (3+1i)z + 3i. Then, we can use the quadratic formula to find the roots of this polynomial, which are z = 3i and z = 1 - 2i.

Next, we can rewrite the integral as Int.c z/[(z-1)(z-3i)] dz = Int.c z/(z-3i) dz - Int.c z/(z-1) dz. Using Cauchy's integral formula, we can evaluate each of these integrals separately.

For the first integral, we can use the point z = 3i and the function f(z) = z/(z-3i) to get (2pi*i)/(1-3i).

For the second integral, we can use the point z = 1 - 2i and the function f(z) = z/(z-1) to get (2pi*i)/(-2i).

Finally, we can combine these two results to get the simplified answer of (pi*i)/(1+i).

In summary, by using the roots of the denominator and evaluating the integral separately, we can simplify the answer to (pi*i)/(1+i).

1. What is the Cauchy integral problem?

The Cauchy integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the values of a complex function inside a contour by using the values of the function on the contour.

2. How is the Cauchy integral problem solved?

The Cauchy integral problem is typically solved using Cauchy's integral formula, which states that the value of a complex function at a point inside a contour can be calculated by integrating the function over the contour.

3. Can the answer to the Cauchy integral problem be simplified further?

It depends on the specific problem and the complexity of the function. In some cases, the answer can be simplified further by using techniques such as partial fraction decomposition or contour integration. However, in other cases, the answer may not be able to be simplified any further.

4. What are some applications of the Cauchy integral problem?

The Cauchy integral problem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the Cauchy integral problem?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving the Cauchy integral problem, such as using the Cauchy-Riemann equations or using the Residue Theorem. However, these methods may not always be applicable or may be more complex compared to using Cauchy's integral formula.