Proving the Sequence of Real Numbers is Not Cauchy

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the sequence x_{n + 1} = x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2}, \, x_1 = 1 is not a Cauchy sequence. A Cauchy sequence is defined as one where for all \varepsilon > 0, there exists an N > 0 such that d(p_n, p_m) < \varepsilon for all m, n > N. The conversation explores using the fact that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent, and ultimately concludes that the sequence does not converge, thus proving that it is not a Cauchy sequence.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence of real numbers defined by [itex]x_{n + 1} = x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2}, \, x_1 = 1[/itex] is not a Cauchy sequence.

Homework Equations

A sequence [itex]\{ p_n \}[/itex] is Cauchy if and only if, for all [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex], there exists an [itex]N > 0[/itex] such that [itex]d(p_n, p_m) < \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex]m, n > N[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

We can assume that [itex]d[/itex] is the usual metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I don't even see where to begin. I see that the sequence is monotonically increasing, so that
[itex]1 = \frac{1}{x_1} > \frac{1}{x_2} > \frac{1}{x_3} > \dotsb.[/itex]
So
[itex]1 = \frac{1}{x_1^2} > \frac{1}{x_2^2} > \frac{1}{x_3^2} > \dotsb.[/itex]
To me it looks like the sequence is in fact Cauchy. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you're trying to show that it is not Cauchy, state what it means for a sequence to not be Cauchy. That is where I would start :)

Kindayr said:
Well if you're trying to show that it is not Cauchy, state what it means for a sequence to not be Cauchy. That is where I would start :)

The sequence isn't Cauchy if there exists an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]N > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]m, n > 0[/itex] such that [itex]d(x_m, x_n) \geq \varepsilon[/itex].

still stuck

Do you have the theorem that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent? And if so, what happens if you suppose ##\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} = L##?

LCKurtz said:
Do you have the theorem that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent? And if so, what happens if you suppose ##\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} = L##?

Yes, I can assume the sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent. The definition of limits that we are using states that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = L[/itex] if and only if
[itex]\forall \varepsilon > 0 \, \exists N > 0 \, s.t. \, \forall n > N \quad d(L, x_n) < \varepsilon[/itex].

Now can I somehow use the fact that [itex]x_n[/itex] is increasing to say that [itex]d(L, x_n)[/itex] is always increasing? And hence it is greater than or equal to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] for some [itex]n[/itex]?

tylerc1991 said:
Yes, I can assume the sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent. The definition of limits that we are using states that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = L[/itex] if and only if
[itex]\forall \varepsilon > 0 \, \exists N > 0 \, s.t. \, \forall n > N \quad d(L, x_n) < \varepsilon[/itex].

Now can I somehow use the fact that [itex]x_n[/itex] is increasing to say that [itex]d(L, x_n)[/itex] is always increasing? And hence it is greater than or equal to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] for some [itex]n[/itex]?

It's easier than that. If the sequence has a limit, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of your recursion?

LCKurtz said:
It's easier than that. If the sequence has a limit, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of your recursion?

The limit of both sides of the recurrence should then equal the same thing, namely [itex]L[/itex]. Then I would have that

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L + \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L[/itex].

Doesn't this simply prove that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = 0[/itex]?

tylerc1991 said:
The limit of both sides of the recurrence should then equal the same thing, namely [itex]L[/itex]. Then I would have that

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L + \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L[/itex].

Doesn't this simply prove that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = 0[/itex]?

But then doesn't this imply [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n^2 = \infty[/itex]? completing the problem?

Can that second limit be 0 while the first limit exists? Is there a number L such that 1/L^2=0?

Matterwave said:
Can that second limit be 0 while the first limit exists? Is there a number L such that 1/L^2=0?

Exactly. Thank you LCKurtz for your patience! :)

1. What is the definition of a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses.

2. How can we prove that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy, we must demonstrate that there exists some positive real number ε such that for any positive integer N, there are two terms in the sequence that are further apart than ε after the Nth term.

3. What is the importance of proving that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy?

Proving that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy allows us to determine if the sequence is convergent or not. If a sequence is not Cauchy, it cannot be convergent and therefore does not have a limit. This information is useful in many mathematical applications, such as in the study of series and continuity.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove that a sequence of real numbers is not Cauchy. These include the use of the triangle inequality, the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, and the definition of limit points. In some cases, it may also be helpful to use counterexamples to show that the sequence does not satisfy the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

5. Can a sequence of real numbers be both Cauchy and not Cauchy?

No, a sequence of real numbers cannot be both Cauchy and not Cauchy. This is because the definition of a Cauchy sequence requires that the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. If a sequence fails to meet this requirement, it cannot be considered Cauchy.