1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Sequence

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the sequence of real numbers defined by [itex]x_{n + 1} = x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2}, \, x_1 = 1[/itex] is not a Cauchy sequence.

2. Relevant equations

A sequence [itex]\{ p_n \}[/itex] is Cauchy if and only if, for all [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex], there exists an [itex]N > 0[/itex] such that [itex]d(p_n, p_m) < \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex]m, n > N[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

We can assume that [itex]d[/itex] is the usual metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I don't even see where to begin. I see that the sequence is monotonically increasing, so that
    [itex]1 = \frac{1}{x_1} > \frac{1}{x_2} > \frac{1}{x_3} > \dotsb.[/itex]
    So
    [itex]1 = \frac{1}{x_1^2} > \frac{1}{x_2^2} > \frac{1}{x_3^2} > \dotsb.[/itex]
    To me it looks like the sequence is in fact Cauchy. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    Well if you're trying to show that it is not Cauchy, state what it means for a sequence to not be Cauchy. That is where I would start :)

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    The sequence isn't Cauchy if there exists an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]N > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]m, n > 0[/itex] such that [itex]d(x_m, x_n) \geq \varepsilon[/itex].

still stuck

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have the theorem that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent? And if so, what happens if you suppose ##\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} = L##?

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    Yes, I can assume the sequence is Cauchy if and only if it is convergent. The definition of limits that we are using states that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = L[/itex] if and only if
    [itex]\forall \varepsilon > 0 \, \exists N > 0 \, s.t. \, \forall n > N \quad d(L, x_n) < \varepsilon[/itex].

Now can I somehow use the fact that [itex]x_n[/itex] is increasing to say that [itex]d(L, x_n)[/itex] is always increasing? And hence it is greater than or equal to [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] for some [itex]n[/itex]?

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's easier than that. If the sequence has a limit, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of your recursion?

8. Feb 9, 2012 #7
    The limit of both sides of the recurrence should then equal the same thing, namely [itex]L[/itex]. Then I would have that

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n + \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L + \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = L[/itex].

Doesn't this simply prove that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{x_n^2} = 0[/itex]?

9. Feb 9, 2012 #8
    But then doesn't this imply [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n^2 = \infty[/itex]? completing the problem?

10. Feb 9, 2012 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can that second limit be 0 while the first limit exists? Is there a number L such that 1/L^2=0?

11. Feb 9, 2012 #10
    Exactly. Thank you LCKurtz for your patience! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook