Finding the Integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2

• Thread starter jjangub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the value of the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/((x^2+x+1))^2 dx, which is equal to 4\pi/(3sqrt(3)). The conversation includes steps such as finding singularities, using the q(z)/p'(z) formula, and finding residues. It ultimately suggests a method involving finding poles inside a contour and using the residue formula to find the value of the integral.
jjangub

Homework Statement

Show [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/((x^2+x+1))^2 dx[/tex] = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]/(3sqrt(3))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried to find the singularities, I used (-b[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/tex])/2a
so I got two singularities, but only (-b+[tex]\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/tex])/2a works.
Now, I got stuck...for 1/((x^2+x+1))^2
I tried to use the q(z)/p(z) when p(z) is two or higher degree then q(z),
we can do q(z)/p'(z). But it didn't work.
How should I do this...
I need some help...
Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have poles of order 2, the q(z)/p'(z) formula doesn't work; you need to go back to the main expression for residues:

[tex] res_{z_0} = \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \left(\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\right) \frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}\left[(z-z_0)^n f(z) \right] [/tex]

Then you should be able to get your residues, etc.

sorry, but can you explain with other formula?
i didn't learn this formula, i instead learned an and bn to find it.
but this function is different...

Suppose you have a function [itex]f(z)[/itex] which has a pole of order n at [itex]z=z_0[/itex], and you want to find the residue. Recall that the residue is the coefficient of the [itex](z-z_0)^{-1}[/itex] term of the series expansion of [itex]f(z)[/itex].

Now let [itex]g(z)=(z-z_0)^n f(z)[/itex]. Then g is holomorphic at [itex]z_0[/itex]. (Do you see why?)

But since g is holomorphic, we can write it as a power series, like so:
[tex]g(z)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k (z-z_0)^k=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{g^{(k)}(z_0)(z-z_0)^k}{k!}[/tex]

Now we can't just go dividing by [itex]z-z_0[/itex] because it's zero, but if we take a limit, we have:

[tex] f(z) = \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \frac{g(z)}{(z-z_0)^n} [/tex]

And since what we want is the coefficient associated with the [itex](z-z_0)^{-1}[/itex] term, we see that we have:

[tex] res_{z_0} = \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \frac{1}{(n-1)!} g^{(k)} [/tex]

which matches the formula i posted before. But the idea is just that you expand f in a series and pull the coefficient right off the appropriate term.

well...I tried... but how do I get 3sqrt(3)?
I can't even get any roots...
some hints please...

OK, here are the steps to doing this problem (or some other problems like it). If you want more help than this, you'll need to show some work.

Step 0: Draw a big half-circle connected to the real axis with radius R.
Step 1: Show that the big half-circle part goes to zero as R goes to infinity.
Step 2: Show that the integral over the entire contour equals the quantity you are trying to find as R goes to infinity.
Step 3: Find the poles that are inside the contour.
Step 4: Find the residue at the poles, using the formula above, or whatever method you like.
Step 5: Use the residue formula to find the value of the integral over the total contour.
Step 6: Win!

I will give you this one hint: the [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] comes from the residue calculations.

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2?

The purpose of finding the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2 is to evaluate the area under the curve of the function and to solve for the unknown variable in the equation.

2. How do I approach finding the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2?

To find the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2, you can use techniques such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, or partial fractions. It is important to follow the steps carefully and make sure to simplify the expression before integrating.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2?

Yes, most calculators have the ability to find the integral of a function. However, it is important to note that some integration techniques may not be supported by calculators, so it is always best to double check your answer by hand.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when finding the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2?

Common mistakes when finding the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2 include forgetting to simplify the expression before integrating, using incorrect integration rules, or forgetting to include the constant of integration.

5. How can I check if my answer for the integral of 1/((x^2+x+1))^2 is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if you get back to the original function. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot both the original function and the integral to see if they match up.