Can a CCD Be Used in Reverse to Generate Surface Charge?

In summary, a CCD can be used to create a pattern of electrons on a surface. However, this would not be useful for your research project. You would need a device that can reverse clock and a test input before the output amplifier.
jkg0
I am working on a research project in which I will need to create a pattern of charge on the surface of a material. Could a CCD be run in reverse to create a pattern of electrons on its surface?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jkg0 said:
I am working on a research project in which I will need to create a pattern of charge on the surface of a material. Could a CCD be run in reverse to create a pattern of electrons on its surface?

Interesting idea. I'm not sure about that, but are you already aware of how photocopiers place & use static charge on surfaces?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/photocopier1.htm

Could you make a photographic negative or positive of the pattern you want then project this pattern on the surface of a photosensitive material (as berkeman is ssuggesting)? I suppose you could use a flat screen monitor as a pattern generator.

Modern CCDs are used for image sensors but they were originally developed for use as memories so yes in principle you can input charge to them and make an image. CCD sensors have a buffer at the output node that in most cases will prevent you from doing that but many CCDs probably have a method to inject a test charge that can be scanned through the CCD for testing charge transfer efficiency and other things. In most cases these probably aren't documented in the data sheet.

That said I don't know that it would be useful for your application.

You need a ccd that can reverse clock, so not a virtual phase device.
You probably also want a full frame astronomy type device not an interline TV chip.
You also need a test input before the output amplifier
Some science CCDs come with alternate test outputs or simple unbuffered output transistors.

berkeman said:
Interesting idea. I'm not sure about that, but are you already aware of how photocopiers place & use static charge on surfaces?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/photocopier1.htm

Or a laser printer. You could produce a charge pattern by scanning a laser over the surface.

1. What is CCD and how does it create surface charge?

CCD stands for Charge-Coupled Device and is a technology used in digital imaging to capture and transfer images. In the context of creating surface charge, CCD works by converting light energy into electrical charge. This charge is then transferred through the device's electrodes to create a net surface charge on the surface of the device.

2. What are the applications of CCD in creating surface charge?

CCD technology is commonly used in devices such as digital cameras, telescopes, and microscopes to capture images. However, it can also be used to create surface charge in various scientific experiments and research studies. For example, CCD can be used to measure the surface potential of materials or to study the behavior of charged particles on a surface.

3. How does the process of CCD to create surface charge work?

The process of CCD to create surface charge involves several steps. First, light energy is converted into electrical charge by the CCD. Then, this charge is transferred through the device's electrodes to create a net surface charge on the surface of the device. Finally, this surface charge can be measured and analyzed to understand the behavior of charged particles on the surface.

4. What are the advantages of using CCD to create surface charge?

One of the main advantages of using CCD to create surface charge is its high sensitivity and accuracy. CCD technology is also non-invasive, meaning it does not physically alter the surface of the material being studied. Additionally, CCD allows for real-time measurements and can capture images at a high resolution, making it a valuable tool in scientific research.

5. Are there any limitations of using CCD to create surface charge?

While CCD technology has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it may not be suitable for studying highly charged surfaces as it can cause interference and distortion in the measurements. Additionally, the size and shape of the CCD device may also limit the types of surfaces that can be studied. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using CCD to create surface charge in research studies.