Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CCD to create surface charge?

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    I am working on a research project in which I will need to create a pattern of charge on the surface of a material. Could a CCD be run in reverse to create a pattern of electrons on its surface?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Interesting idea. I'm not sure about that, but are you already aware of how photocopiers place & use static charge on surfaces?

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you make a photographic negative or positive of the pattern you want then project this pattern on the surface of a photosensitive material (as berkeman is ssuggesting)? I suppose you could use a flat screen monitor as a pattern generator.
  5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    Modern CCDs are used for image sensors but they were originally developed for use as memories so yes in principle you can input charge to them and make an image. CCD sensors have a buffer at the output node that in most cases will prevent you from doing that but many CCDs probably have a method to inject a test charge that can be scanned through the CCD for testing charge transfer efficiency and other things. In most cases these probably aren't documented in the data sheet.

That said I don't know that it would be useful for your application.
  6. Mar 25, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need a ccd that can reverse clock, so not a virtual phase device.
    You probably also want a full frame astronomy type device not an interline TV chip.
    You also need a test input before the output amplifier
    Some science CCDs come with alternate test outputs or simple unbuffered output transistors.
  7. Mar 25, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Or a laser printer. You could produce a charge pattern by scanning a laser over the surface.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook