Center of gravity and Newton's 3 Law of Motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a demonstration of a physics phenomenon, specifically related to Newton's Laws of Motion. The speaker is considering using the center of gravity as their topic but is unsure if it relates to all three laws. They share their plan to demonstrate the third law by using an empty can filled with water and then with smashed ice to show the equal and opposite reaction. The other person expresses confusion about how this relates to the third law.
NeomiXD
I have a project to do and I have to make a demonstration about a physics phenomenon. I'n planning on doing a demonstration that explains one or all of Newton's Laws of Motion. I've chosen to do it on the center of gravity, but I want to know if it's
related to Newton's 3 Laws of Motion or is it not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
third law is "every action has an equal and opposite reaction"

so some demonstrations may work and some may not

whats in your mind?

Well in my demonstration, I'm planning on taking an empty can and filling it with 1/3 of water to make it rotate in a circular motion on its edge. After I'm going to fill it with smashed ice instead of water and do the same thing.

Ok, I am a bit confused ... how is 3rd law demonstrated in it?

Yes, the center of gravity is related to Newton's 3 Laws of Motion. The center of gravity is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions. According to Newton's 1st Law of Motion, an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the center of gravity of an object at rest will also remain in the same position unless acted upon by an external force.

In addition, the center of gravity also plays a role in Newton's 2nd Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The position of an object's center of gravity affects its mass distribution, which in turn affects its acceleration when acted upon by a force.

Furthermore, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, is also applicable to the center of gravity. When a force is applied to an object, the object exerts an equal and opposite force on the object causing the force. In the case of the center of gravity, if an object is lifted or tilted, the center of gravity will shift and the object will exert a force in the opposite direction to maintain its balance.

Therefore, the center of gravity is a fundamental concept in understanding and applying Newton's 3 Laws of Motion. Your demonstration on the center of gravity would be a great way to showcase the principles of Newton's Laws in action. I wish you all the best with your project!

What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the total weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point where all the weight of the object can be balanced or supported.

How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity of an object is determined by its mass distribution. It is typically located at the geometric center of the object, but can vary depending on the shape and distribution of mass.

What is Newton's 3rd Law of Motion?

Newton's 3rd Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How does the center of gravity affect an object's stability?

The lower the center of gravity of an object, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of gravity means that there is less potential for the object to tip over or lose balance.

How is Newton's 3rd Law of Motion related to the center of gravity?

Newton's 3rd Law of Motion is related to the center of gravity because the location of an object's center of gravity affects its stability and how it responds to external forces. When an object is pushed or pulled, its center of gravity will shift and cause a reaction force in the opposite direction, in accordance with Newton's 3rd Law.