1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center Of Mass Deriving

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    OMG second time I'm opening a thread in the wrong forum FFS!!!!
    Damn bookmarks!! MODS move it please.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not a home work question, just something i cam across and need a clarification.
    Could One show me how to derive to the equation that X(cm)=int(X dm)/M
    int=the deformed S of the integral(2 lazy to write in Latex XD).

2. Relevant equations
    X(cm)=sigma(Xi Dmi)/M

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know It's simple, But I can't imagine how sigma(Xi Dmi) becomes int(X dm),
    I don't understand what it means , trying to convert it to words just doesn't work for me,so could some 1 explain that for me?
    AFAIK sigma(Xi Dmi) means the mass distribution,but how does the integral takes place here?
    I really need to understand the math part in physics.

Thanks a lot in advanced !

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Dweirdo! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ and a delta: ∆ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    How does ∑ Xi ∆mi become ∫ X dm ?

Because that's what an ∫ is …

it's defined as the limit of a ∑ as the ∆s tend to zero. :smile:

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    But why?? Like I know that in Energy, if you make a graph of force and distance and it is curved than integral calculates the plot.
    but wtf is it here?

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because energy (= work done ) = force x distance, so it's the limit of ∑ (force x ∆distance)

Similarly, moment of mass = distance x mass, so it's the limit of ∑ (distance x ∆mass) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook