Center of mass for rigid body and point particle

In summary, the problem involves a beam with length L and mass M hanging from a point O at the origin. A point particle with mass m is shot into the beam and latches onto it at (0,-L,0). The task is to find the center of mass for the system consisting of the beam and the particle. Using the subdivision principle, the center of mass is found to be at -\frac{M\frac{L}{2} + mL}{M+m}\boldsymbol{\hat{\jmath}}. In the limit where m<<M, the center of mass returns to -\frac{L}{2}\boldsymbol{\hat{\jmath}}.
Noorac
Hi, this is a problem on center mass.

Homework Statement

A beam hangs straight down from a point O(O is placed at x=0 and y = 0, aka origo). The beam is attached to the point O. Beam has length L and mass M. The density of the beam is uniform, so the centermass of the beam is [itex]-\frac{L}{2}\boldsymbol{\hat{\jmath}}[/itex]. A point particle with mass m is shot into the beam at (0,-L,0) and latches itself onto the beam in (0,-L,0) so it becomes a part of the beam at that point.

What is the center of mass for the system consisting of the beam and the particle?
(I first thought the center of mass was still at [itex]-\frac{L}{2}[/itex], but the task does not state anywhere that m<< M).

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using center of mass for a particle system, but since one of the "particles" is a beam, I assume I cannot use [itex]\vec{R} = \frac{1}{M}\Sigma m_i \vec{r}_i [/itex]. And since I don't know the densitydifference for the point particle nor the beam, I don't think I can use [itex]\vec{R} = \frac{1}{M} \int \int \int \vec{r} \rho dV[/itex]

Not sure how to approach finding the total center of mass, though maybe the answer is right there and I don't see it. Any ideas?

Edit; Is the subdivision principle applicable here?

So:

[itex]\vec{R} = \frac{-M\frac{L}{2} -mL}{M+m}\boldsymbol{\hat{\jmath}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me at least, and you do see that in the limit m<<M the stick goes back to L/2 CM.

Mindscrape said:
That looks good to me at least, and you do see that in the limit m<<M the stick goes back to L/2 CM.

Yeah, that's a good point! Thanks=)

1. What is the definition of center of mass for a rigid body?

The center of mass for a rigid body is the point where the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual particles that make up the object.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a rigid body?

The center of mass can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the individual particles' positions, where the weight is determined by the mass of each particle. This can be represented mathematically as:
Center of Mass = (∑miri) / (∑mi)
where mi is the mass of each particle and ri is its position vector.

3. How does the center of mass differ for a rigid body and a point particle?

The center of mass for a point particle is simply the position of the particle itself, while for a rigid body, it is the average position of all the particles that make up the body. This means that the center of mass for a rigid body can change depending on the distribution of mass within the object, while for a point particle it remains constant.

4. What is the importance of the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and behavior of an object. It is used in many physical principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of momentum. It also helps in determining the stability, balance, and rotation of objects.

5. Can the center of mass be outside the physical boundaries of a rigid body?

No, the center of mass for a rigid body will always lie within the physical boundaries of the object. This is because the center of mass is calculated using the positions of all the particles that make up the body, and these particles are confined within the body's boundaries. If the center of mass were to lie outside the body, it would mean that there is mass outside the physical boundaries, which is not possible.