1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass problem

1. Apr 7, 2004 #1
    Hi, here is the problem:

Imagine three spherical masses all fixed on the x-axis: mass 5M at the origin, mass 2M at x =+12.0 units, and mass M at x = -8.0 units, all connected by a rigid rod whose mass can be ignored. At what position along the x-axis is the center of mass of the system located?

is this the correct equation? if so, i don't know where to plug in the numbers.
    x = (m1x1 + m2x2)/ m1+m2

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2
    Yes.

Take a guess. You got 2 sets of values in the given and two sets of x and m in your equation. What makes sense?

cookiemonster

4. Apr 7, 2004 #3
    i got 2units as the answer. is that correct?

5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    Oops.

You got 3 sets of values and 3 pairs of x and m. Your formula should be

[tex]\bar{x} = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3}{m_1 + m_2 + m_2}[/tex]

Sorry. I didn't catch that third value the first time.

2 "units" is not the correct answer. You should be getting something in units of meters.

cookiemonster

6. Apr 8, 2004 #5
    Actually the answer is 2 "units". Where does it say we are working within the SI system, or any other unit system for that matter?

7. Apr 8, 2004 #6
    I could have sworn I read "meters" in that post last night! I must have been tired. =\

cookiemonster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?