Finding support reactions for shear and moment diagrams

In summary, the beam in the figure has a maximum shear of 0 and a maximum moment of 34. The supports at A and C are rollers, and D is a pin support. There is a hinge at point B.
mwjrain
Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the beam in the figure. Clearly show all values, including the maximum shear and maximum moment and their positions on the diagrams. Assume the supports at A and C are rollers and D is a pin support. note there is a hinge at point B.

I am having trouble finding the support reactions.
My attempt is:
(Assuming positive Y direction is up)
Moment about b = 10(60)+10A-2(10)5=0
A=-50 kN

Forces in y direction = C+D-50-2(10)-5-18=0
C+D=93

Moment about D= C(12)+60(32)-(50)32-(20)(27)-5(16)-18(6)=0
C=34

D=93-34=59

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
mwjrain said:
Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the beam in the figure. Clearly show all values, including the maximum shear and maximum moment and their positions on the diagrams. Assume the supports at A and C are rollers and D is a pin support. note there is a hinge at point B.

I am having trouble finding the support reactions.
My attempt is:
(Assuming positive Y direction is up)
Moment about b = 10(60)+10A-2(10)5=0
A=-50 kN

Forces in y direction = C+D-50-2(10)-5-18=0
C+D=93

Moment about D= C(12)+60(32)-(50)32-(20)(27)-5(16)-18(6)=0
C=34

D=93-34=59
Your work is generally very good, however, your error is in the calculation of the moment due to the applied couple at A. You are incorrectly multiplying that couple by a moment arm. The moment of a couple about any point is the couple itself.

So it would be
Moment about b = 60 +10A-2(10)5=0
A=4 kN

Moment about D = C(12)+60-50(32)-20(27)-5(16)-18(6)=0
C=189kN

Forces in y direction=C+D+4-(2)10-5-18=0
D=-150kN

mwjrain said:
So it would be
Moment about b = 60 +10A-2(10)5=0
A=4 kN
yes
Moment about D = C(12)+60-50(32) -20(27)-5(16)-18(6)=0
C=189kN
You still used A = -50 instead of A = +4
Forces in y direction=C+D+4-(2)10-5-18=0
D=-150kN
make necessary corrections. It is a good idea to look at the FBD of the beam between B and D to check results.

Welcome to PF!:smile:

Note: My lightweight monitor made it easy to turn it upside down.:wink:

Sorry about the image being upside down! I didn't realize that. And thank you for the warm welcome.

So
Moment about D= C12-18(6)-5(16)-2(10)27+4(32)+60=0
C=45

Forces in y =D+4+45-20-18-5=0
D=-6

Note (the new pictures going to be sideways. I can't figure out how to fix it on my iPad.) sorry!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 446
mwjrain said:
Sorry about the image being upside down! I didn't realize that. And thank you for the warm welcome.

So
Moment about D= C12-18(6)-5(16)-2(10)27+4(32)+60=0
C=45

Forces in y =D+4+45-20-18-5=0
D=-6

Note (the new pictures going to be sideways. I can't figure out how to fix it on my iPad.) sorry!
You should show the negative 6 support reaction at D as a downward force of magnitude 6. Otherwise your reactions, shear, and moment diagrams are literally perfect, correctly curved, etc. , this is excellent work.

Thank you for all the help! Preparing for finals.

1. How do you determine the support reactions for shear and moment diagrams?

The support reactions for shear and moment diagrams can be determined by applying the principles of statics. This involves analyzing the external forces and moments acting on a structure, and then using equations of equilibrium to solve for the support reactions.

2. What are the different types of support reactions?

The different types of support reactions include fixed support, roller support, and pin support. Fixed support prevents both translation and rotation of the structure, while roller support allows for translation but not rotation. Pin support allows for rotation but not translation.

3. How do you draw shear and moment diagrams?

To draw shear and moment diagrams, you first need to determine the support reactions and apply them to the structure. Then, you can calculate the shear and moment at different points along the structure using the equations of equilibrium. These values can then be plotted on a graph to create the diagrams.

4. What are the uses of shear and moment diagrams?

Shear and moment diagrams are used to analyze the internal forces and moments within a structure. They can help engineers and designers determine the strength and stability of a structure, as well as identify critical points of stress and potential failure.

5. How do support reactions affect shear and moment diagrams?

Support reactions have a significant impact on shear and moment diagrams. The magnitude and direction of the support reactions can change the shape and values of the diagrams. It is important to accurately determine the support reactions in order to accurately analyze the internal forces and moments in a structure.