Central Force Field: Meaning of Centrifugal Term

In summary, the study of motion in a Central-Force Field in radial coordinates involves an effective potential energy that depends on the radius r. This potential energy includes a term representing the centrifugal force, which is derived from an inertial frame. However, it should be noted that there is no actual centrifugal force, but rather a force directed outward from the center of the orbit.
rob60

Homework Statement

In the study of motion in a Central-Force Field in radial coordinates it is defined an effective potential energy which depends only on the radius r: in particular there is a term 'centrifugal' because the relative force (-grad) has a centrifugal versus. What is the meaning of this expression since it is derived from an inertial frame?
thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rob60 said:

Homework Statement

In the study of motion in a Central-Force Field in radial coordinates it is defined an effective potential energy which depends only on the radius r: in particular there is a term 'centrifugal' because the relative force (-grad) has a centrifugal versus. What is the meaning of this expression since it is derived from an inertial frame?
thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Some key words in your post are missing or incorrect, as it makes no sense as it stands?

I'm sorry but I do not understand what are the errors. thanks for the help

rob60 said:
I'm sorry but I do not understand what are the errors. thanks for the help

What is a centrifugal versus?

And I don't think you should be using the term centrifugal anyway! The is no such thing as a centrifugal force!

oh yes. My english is inadequate: excuse me, please.
the 'effective potential expression' has a term: + L^2/(2mr^2).
The force associate is directed outward from the center of the orbit, it looks like a 'centrifugal force'.

1. What is a central force field?

A central force field is a type of force field where the force acting on an object depends only on the distance between the object and the center of the field.

2. What does the term "centrifugal" mean in a central force field?

The term "centrifugal" refers to the apparent outward force experienced by an object in a rotating reference frame. In a central force field, this force is equal and opposite to the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

3. How is the centrifugal force term calculated in a central force field?

The centrifugal force term is calculated using the mass of the object, its velocity, and the distance between the object and the center of the force field. The formula for the centrifugal force term is F = mω²r, where F is the centrifugal force, m is the mass, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of the force field.

4. What is the significance of the centrifugal force term in a central force field?

The centrifugal force term helps to explain the motion of objects in a central force field. It is an important component in understanding the balance between the inward centripetal force and the outward centrifugal force, which determines the shape and stability of orbits in the field.

5. Can the centrifugal force term be negative in a central force field?

No, the centrifugal force term cannot be negative in a central force field. This is because the centrifugal force is always directed away from the center of rotation, while the centripetal force is always directed towards the center. Therefore, the centrifugal force term is always positive.