Centripetal Force behind Rotation?

In summary: They each, through the magnetic-electric forces between the atoms, the very forces holding the ball together, pull the rest of the atoms around with them. As far as why some are moving slower so the ball goes around its axis rather than moving away is concerned- you were the one that said this initial force WOULD make it move that way. Obviously, that depends on exactly how the force is applied. Most ways of applying a force would make the ball both rotate and move away. YOU need to specify exactly how the force is applied before anyone can answer your question precisely.
shanu_bhaiya
What is the centripetal foce for the rotation on one's own axis?

Take an example of a ball, you spinned it and left it in an isolated condition.
It keeps on spinning. While each of its atom is doing circular motion around a fixed point. What is the centripetal force causing it to circulate and how can it last long forever?

Physics news on Phys.org
first it is u who provides the torque to start the rotaition.then it is the very same internal force that provides the centripetal accelaration which would have made each 'atom' move in a striaght line had u pushed the ball
alsoassuming no friction,no external torque... it would keep on doing so.

pardesi said:
first it is u who provides the torque to start the rotaition.then it is the very same internal force that provides the centripetal accelaration which would have made each 'atom' move in a striaght line had u pushed the ball
alsoassuming no friction,no external torque... it would keep on doing so.

How this internal force is such that it acts perpendicular on every atom. Is it the internal tension that is caused by mutual attraction of the atoms of the ball?

Inter-molecular forces hold the ball together. When the ball is not spinning, the net force on any segment of the ball is zero. But when you spin the ball, tension is created. The outer layer of the ball is pulled inward by the next inner layer due to the increased inter-molecular forces. (Of course, if you spin the ball too fast the inter-molecular forces will not be strong enough to produce the required centripetal force--the ball will fall apart.)

As long as no dissipative forces act, the spinning can continue. You've given it all the energy it needs. (Maintaining the tension does not consume energy.)

well philosophically speaking i didn't like ur question
shanu_bhaiya said:
How this internal force is such that it acts perpendicular on every atom. Is it the internal tension that is caused by mutual attraction of the atoms of the ball?
the reason being since the ball is spinning and since each atom is accelerating in a direction perpendicular to it's speed and since force produces accelaration and since the only 'source' of force is the atoms within so i gave the answer.
had the ball been moving linearly it would have been the same internal force that i would have said provides the necessary linear accelaration

shanu_bhaiya said:
What is the centripetal foce for the rotation on one's own axis?

Take an example of a ball, you spinned it and left it in an isolated condition.
It keeps on spinning. While each of its atom is doing circular motion around a fixed point. What is the centripetal force causing it to circulate and how can it last long forever?

The centripetal force is whatever holds the ball together (forces between the molecules)

Theoretically it can last forever if there are absolutely no other forces on it.

pardesi said:
...had the ball been moving linearly it would have been the same internal force that i would have said provides the necessary linear accelaration
But when the contact exetrnal force is released, the ball (lets say it is a block to avoid the spin component) would move linearly at constant velocity and without linear acceleration or any internal forces acting...

if the internal forces wouldn't have acted hoe would an 'atom' deep inside where u don't directly apply the force ever move

pardesi said:
if the internal forces wouldn't have acted hoe would an 'atom' deep inside where u don't directly apply the force ever move
i.e. why the atoms deep inside move at lower speeds and ultimately the center of mass doesn't move at all in pure rotation.

well first f all i was talking in general motion.
secondly it doesn't matter whether the atoms were moving faster or slower what's important is they were at rest and then started moving

What do you mean by "acts perpendicular on every atom". What do you mean by "perpendicular" to an atom?

You apply force, in whatever, way to some atoms on the outside of the ball. They each, through the magnetic-electric forces between the atoms, the very forces holding the ball together, pull the rest of the atoms around with them. As far as why some are moving slower so that the ball goes around its axis rather than moving away is concerned- you were the one that said this initial force WOULD make it move that way. Obviously, that depends on exactly how the force is applied. Most ways of applying a force would make the ball both rotate and move away. YOU need to specify exactly how the force is applied before anyone can answer your question precisely.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "acts perpendicular on every atom". What do you mean by "perpendicular" to an atom?

You apply force, in whatever, way to some atoms on the outside of the ball. They each, through the magnetic-electric forces between the atoms, the very forces holding the ball together, pull the rest of the atoms around with them. As far as why some are moving slower so that the ball goes around its axis rather than moving away is concerned- you were the one that said this initial force WOULD make it move that way. Obviously, that depends on exactly how the force is applied. Most ways of applying a force would make the ball both rotate and move away. YOU need to specify exactly how the force is applied before anyone can answer your question precisely.
An atom in a freely spinning ball can be considered to be going a circular motion, so, I only asked what is the centripetal force for this circular motion.
Obviously, this centripetal force must act perpendicular to it's velocity at any time.

Each atom is in motion. If the atoms in the ball were not molecularly linked, each atom would follow a straight line in the direction of its last motion. i.e. the ball would fly apart. The intermolecular bonds that make up the rubber stop each atom from following this course.

While all the intermolecular bonds pull in their own particular direction, the net force of these individual forces is towards the centre of mass of all atoms that are bound together. That is the source of the centripetal force. And that is why it is, as you say, perpendicular (I think what you're describing is "perpendicular to the tangent" and the word that describes is "radial" i.e. radiating from the centre of the object.).

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Each atom is in motion. If the atoms in the ball were not molecularly linked, each atom would follow a straight line in the direction of its last motion. i.e. the ball would fly apart. The intermolecular bonds that make up the rubber stop each atom from following this course.

While all the intermolecular bonds pull in their own particular direction, the net force of these individual forces is towards the centre of mass of all atoms that are bound together. That is the source of the centripetal force. And that is why it is, as you say, perpendicular (I think what you're describing is "perpendicular to the tangent" and the word that describes is "radial" i.e. radiating from the centre of the object.).
Oh, yes I exactly meant what you said, thanks for reply.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always pointing towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path rather than moving in a straight line.

2. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is often mistakenly thought to be the opposite of centripetal force, but in reality, it is an outward force that appears to act on a rotating object. However, centrifugal force is actually the result of inertia, and it does not actually exist as a real force like centripetal force does.

3. How is centripetal force related to rotational motion?

Centripetal force is essential for an object to undergo rotational motion. Without centripetal force, the object would simply move in a straight line, rather than rotating around a central point. The magnitude of the centripetal force is directly proportional to the object's mass, velocity, and the radius of its circular path.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force include the force keeping planets in orbit around the sun, the force keeping a car on a curved road, and the force keeping a bucket of water moving in a vertical circle when swung around. Any object that moves in a circular path is subject to centripetal force.

5. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = (mv^2)/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on the given information.