Car Acceleration & Friction: Force, Coefficient & Calculation

In summary, a 1300 kg car takes 35 seconds to travel around a circular road with a radius of 40 m. The acceleration of the car is 1.289 m/s^2 and the force of friction required to maintain this acceleration is 1675.819 N. The coefficient of friction should be 0.132 according to your calculations. However, the website's answers are 1.47 m/s^2 for acceleration and 2210 N for force of friction, which seems to be incorrect. It is possible that they used the incorrect equation a_c=V^2/t for part b, which led to the discrepancy in their answers.
intdx

Homework Statement

From http://library.thinkquest.org/10796/index.html
4. A 1300 kg car takes 35 s to travel around a circular road that has a radius of 40 m.
b. What is the acceleration of the car?
c. How big should the force of friction be to maintain this acceleration?
d. How big should the coefficient of the force of friction be?
m=1300kg
t=35s
r=40m

Homework Equations

[tex]V=\frac{2\pi r}{t}[/tex]
[tex]a_c=\frac{V^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]F_c=ma_c[/tex]
[tex]F_f=\mu mg[/tex]
[tex]F_f=F_c[/tex]
[tex]\mu=\frac{a_c}{g}=\frac{F_c}{mg}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging into the formulae is pretty elementary, so I'll spare you all that. I used the first two equations for part b, then the third for part c. Anyway, I get 1.289m/s2 for part b and 1675.819N for part c, but the site's answers are 1.47m/s2 and 2210N, respectively. It appears that, to have arrived at their answer for part b, they used the incorrect equation a_c=V^2/t. I'm not sure how they arrived at the answer for part c.

Using either part of the last equation above (with my answers for part b or part c) gives me μ=0.132. The site's answer for part d is 0.15, but--using the same equation that I have listed above--this is consistent with its answer for part b, but not with its answer for part c.

Would someone please explain what's going on here? :confused:

Thanks!

P.S. You know, I feel as if, from typing this, I've pretty much assured myself that the site is wrong. (I have another fairly recent post in which I consider the same thing, and the couple of replies it's gotten seem to support the idea.) I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, but it bothers me that the site was written by high school students.

Physics news on Phys.org

I agree with the numbers you got. I think that the site is wrong.

1. What is car acceleration?

Car acceleration is the rate at which the speed of a car changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or miles per hour per second (mph/s).

2. How does friction affect car acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease the acceleration of a car. This is because friction between the tires and the road creates resistance that must be overcome by the engine to move the car forward.

3. What is the relationship between force and car acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to a car, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. What is the coefficient of friction and how is it related to car acceleration?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the case of a car, it is the ratio of the force of friction between the tires and the road to the normal force (the force pushing the tires against the road). This coefficient can affect the amount of friction and therefore impact the car's acceleration.

5. How do you calculate the force needed for a car to accelerate?

The force needed for a car to accelerate can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the car, and a is the acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of the car, the greater the force needed to achieve a certain acceleration.