1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force with circular motion

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    This problem seems simple, but I can't get the answer:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Tarzan tries to cross a river by swinging from one bank to the other on a vine that is 10.0 m long. His speed at the bottom of the swing is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan does not know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1000 N. What is the largest mass that Tarzan can have and still make it safely across the river.

2. Relevant equations

Fc=(m*v2)/(r)

3. The attempt at a solution

1000 N=(m*(8 m/s)2)/(10 m)

The answer is apparently 62 kg, and what I'm getting is over double that, so I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm really not sure what I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

The 1000 N is not Fc. It is the breaking strength (so the maximum tension the vine can withstand). There are two forces to consider. You have neglected to take into account Tarzan's mass on the vine. Draw a diagram to see it.

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Ft is not the only force in this example.

mv2/r = Fc
    Fc= Ft-Fg

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4
    I'm still not getting the right answer.

Using this, I've come up with

m=[10m*(1000 N-9.81m/s2*kg)]/(8.0m2/s2), which keeps working out to around 154 kg, still way off. What am I missing here?

6. Oct 21, 2008 #5
    Nevermind, I got it. Thanks guys.

7. Dec 17, 2010 #6
    maximum tension is the tension at the lowest point
    and
    tension at the lowest point = mv2/r + mg
    works to around 61.72 by taking g = 9.8m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?