Centripetal Force Homework: Solving for F with F = ma

In summary, the conversation is about calculating centripetal force using the equation F= (mass)(angular speed squared)(average radius). The initial attempts resulted in large numbers and confusion over units. After converting to appropriate units, the final answer was found to be 890.62 N, which was deemed reasonable for an experiment involving a motor driven rotator.
jensson

Homework Statement

I did an expirement in my physics lab on centripetal force. I'm doing the calculations and right now I am calculating the centripetal force using equation: F= (mass)(angular speed squared)(average radius). My answers are coming out to be huge numbers.

ex: (148.8g)(52.70 rev/s)^2(5.494 cm) = 2270217

I'm not even sure what units this converts too.

If I convert g to kilegrams and revolutions/second times 2pi (in radians) then convert cm to meters I get:

(0.1488 kg) (331^2)(0.05494 m ) = 895.7 N

but this is too big as well. what am I doing wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the angular speed in the formula. How is it defined? ehild

the equation for angular speed we're using is 2pi (n)/elapsed time

n is revolutions

I think I need to convert this to m/s?

Last edited:
is 896.2 N reasonable?

jensson said:
is 896.2 N reasonable?

almost... It is 890.62 N. One zero is missing.

ehild

can you please show me how you got that? because when I put

(0.1488) (331.1^2) (0.05494) that comes out to 896.2 N

You are right, I misread something on my calculator.

ehild

that seems like a lot of Newtons! This was an experiment in class with a little motor driven rotator.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = m x a, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

3. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How do you solve for centripetal force?

To solve for centripetal force, you need to know the mass of the object, the centripetal acceleration, and the radius of the circle. Then, you can plug these values into the formula F = m x a to calculate the centripetal force.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the weight of an object. In fact, in order for an object to move in a circular path, the centripetal force must be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the centripetal force is responsible for countering the weight of the object and keeping it moving in a curved path.