Centripital Acceleration question

In summary, centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle. It differs from normal acceleration as it specifically refers to the change in direction of an object in a circular path. It can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, and some real-life examples include the rotation of planets around the sun and the motion of objects in a spinning centrifuge. Centripetal acceleration can also be negative if the object is slowing down or if the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the object's motion.
DLxX
A mass on the end of a 1.07 m string moves at 2.64 revolutions per second. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration in m/s/s?

How would I go about solving that? What really confuses me is the 2.64 revolutions per second, so if anyone could explain that I'd appreciate it. I have the Centriptial Acceleration formula but I don't know how to use Rev/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you know the formula [tex] a = - r\omega^2[/tex] ?

[itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex] where [itex]f[/itex] is the frequency in Hertz, or number of revolutions per second.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is a = v^2/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the radius of the circular motion.

In this case, the linear velocity is given as 2.64 revolutions per second. This means that the mass is completing 2.64 full rotations around the center of the circle in one second. To convert this to linear velocity, you will need to multiply by the circumference of the circle, which is 2πr, where r is the length of the string.

So, the linear velocity, v, can be calculated as 2.64 rev/s * 2π(1.07 m) = 16.8 m/s.

Now, you can plug this value into the formula for centripetal acceleration, along with the radius of the circle (1.07 m):

a = (16.8 m/s)^2 / 1.07 m = 269.57 m/s^2

Therefore, the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is 269.57 m/s^2 or approximately 270 m/s^2. This means that the mass is experiencing a significant amount of acceleration towards the center of the circle to maintain its circular motion.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of revolutions per second and how it relates to linear velocity in circular motion. Remember to always pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent in your calculations.

Related to Centripital Acceleration question

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration refers to the change in an object's speed or direction, while centripetal acceleration specifically refers to the change in direction of an object moving in a circular path.

3. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration include the rotation of planets around the sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the movement of a ball in a spinning centrifuge.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative if the object is slowing down and changing direction in a circular path, or if the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the direction of the object's motion.