Solving the Chain Rule Equation with Differential Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the use of cross product in solving a problem involving partial derivatives. The person initially used a cross product but then realized it was not applicable. Another person suggests using the equation \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= 0 to solve for \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}.
Brown Arrow

Homework Statement

2hedil3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) (∂z/∂x)=-(∂f/∂x)*(∂z/∂f)

i used that (AxB)=-(BxA)
so i get

(∂z/∂x)=-[-(∂z/∂f)(∂f/∂x)]
=(∂z/∂x)
is this correct if not can someone give me hints pls

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i just realized that i can not use that cross product...now I am really lost help...someone pls give me a hint...pls

anyone? pls

Let f(x, y)= F(x, y, z(x,y))= 0 so that f is a constant function and all its partial derivatives are 0. Then
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}= 0[/tex].

Solve that for
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex].

1. What is the chain rule in differential calculus?

The chain rule in differential calculus is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in solving equations?

The chain rule is important in solving equations because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is composed of multiple functions. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do I apply the chain rule in solving equations?

To apply the chain rule in solving equations, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and evaluate it at the inner function. Finally, multiply this result by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can the chain rule be used to find higher derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to find higher derivatives. In fact, it can be applied repeatedly to find any order of derivative of a composite function.

5. How can I practice solving equations using the chain rule?

You can practice solving equations using the chain rule by working through examples and practice problems. Additionally, you can use online resources or textbooks to find more practice problems and solutions.