How Can I Solve a Complex Determinant Problem for an nxn Matrix?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving row expansion and cofactor expansion for matrices. The person is struggling with self-teaching the concept and is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem. They are given hints to try working out the n=2 and n=3 cases and to use induction to prove their guess for the general case.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

The problem is attached due to it not being able to copy over the given matrix..
Number 5.3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to compute A+tI and then row reduce until A+tI was a triangle matrix and then multiply the diagnol entries but I got stuck.. any help would be great! thanks!

Attachments

• HW!.png
    HW!.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is attached due to it not being able to copy over the given matrix..
Number 5.3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to compute A+tI and then row reduce until A+tI was a triangle matrix and then multiply the diagnol entries but I got stuck.. any help would be great! thanks!

You don't want to do it that way. They give you the hint to try row expansion (i.e. expansion by minors). I'd suggest you write down the matrices in the cases n=2 and n=3 and work out the determinants. Then you can probably make a guess for what the general case would look like. Now for the general case expand along the first row. There are only two nonvanishing entries. The minor for one is easy and the minor for the other looks a lot like a lower dimensional version of the same problem. Now use the other hint to use induction to prove your guess.

Last edited:
I've been trying that but we never covered co factor expansion in class so I'm trying to self teach this from internet resources...I see multiple examples for 3x3 matrices but I don't see any process to follow for nxn

bmb2009 said:
I've been trying that but we never covered co factor expansion in class so I'm trying to self teach this from internet resources...I see multiple examples for 3x3 matrices but I don't see any process to follow for nxn

It works EXACTLY the same way. Go across the first row, multiply the element by the determinant of the matrix you get by striking out the row and column the element is in, multiply by a factor of +/-1 and sum. Did you start by working out the n=2 and n=3 cases? Do those first.

Last edited:
I apologize for the stupid questions.. but I don't know what you mean by the n=2, n=3 cases... my confusion is for a 3x3 matrix after you strike out the column and row the element is in you are left with 3 2x2 matrices... which the determinants are easy to compute for 2x2 but once you strike out the nxn and I have an (n-1)x(n-1) i don't know how to calculate the determinant of what's left..

bmb2009 said:
once you strike out the nxn and I have an (n-1)x(n-1) i don't know how to calculate the determinant of what's left..
There are only two nonzero terms in the first row, yes? So expanding by that row gives you two terms, each involving an (n-1)x(n-1) determinant. The first should look very like what you started with; the second will be zeroes except on the diagonal and the superdiagonal. Row or column manipulation will quickly evaluate the second. The first will lead to a kind of recurrence relation, so you could try induction. Trying 2x2 and 3x3 examples might help you understand how to do the induction.

bmb2009 said:
I apologize for the stupid questions.. but I don't know what you mean by the n=2, n=3 cases... my confusion is for a 3x3 matrix after you strike out the column and row the element is in you are left with 3 2x2 matrices... which the determinants are easy to compute for 2x2 but once you strike out the nxn and I have an (n-1)x(n-1) i don't know how to calculate the determinant of what's left..

You are given a description of an nxn matrix. Use that pattern to figure out out what what it looks like in specific cases. If n=2 then the matrix (after adding tI) is [[t,a0],[-1,a1+t]], right? What's the determinant of that? You do 3x3. It's good practice. Try row expanding it along the first row and pay attention to what the cofactors look like. May help with the general case.

Last edited:

What is "Challenging Determinant Calculation"?

"Challenging Determinant Calculation" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the determinant of a matrix, which is a number that describes certain properties of the matrix. It is considered challenging because it can be difficult to calculate for larger matrices.

Why is calculating determinants important in science?

Determinants are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve various problems and make predictions. They are also important in linear algebra, which is a fundamental mathematical tool used in many scientific disciplines.

What makes calculating determinants challenging?

Determinants can be challenging to calculate because they involve complex mathematical operations, such as multiplication, addition, and subtraction, and can become increasingly difficult as the size of the matrix increases. Additionally, some matrices may have special properties that make their determinants more difficult to calculate.

Are there any tips for solving challenging determinant calculations?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can make calculating determinants easier. These include breaking down the matrix into smaller matrices, using properties of determinants (such as row operations), and using software or calculators specifically designed for calculating determinants.

What are some real-world applications of challenging determinant calculations?

Determinants have many real-world applications, such as calculating the stability of structures in engineering, predicting the behavior of quantum particles in physics, and determining the best investment strategies in economics. They can also be used to solve systems of linear equations, which have countless applications in various scientific fields.